2800 or 5000 lumen worth the price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back from my weekend trip. The nr-3000 handled really well. Bigger than I expected, but it did great. 4 dives on it thus far. Here is a few video screen grabs from diving in puget sound. Vis was not good, but the light had some great penetration compared to the other lights during the night dive.

Z0fq6r.png

gGxeV0.png

1NYCZu.png

caIFud.png

grHHSL.png

pItcVv.png

Wow these things are bright! Can't wait to try them in the water next month.

Attachments

• IMG_1827.JPG
    IMG_1827.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 129
Quick test of the UV setting on one light in my reef tank. No filters or corrections done taken with iPhone.

Attachments

• IMG_1829.JPG
    IMG_1829.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 125
How is everyone liking these light? Im ready to retire my cans and go cordless. I like the LM but they are spendy and offer less features. Having a wide and narrow beam in an led is very attractive to me. So whats the verdict so far? Any regrets? Any used ones someone wants to part with?

How is everyone liking these light? Im ready to retire my cans and go cordless. I like the LM but they are spendy and offer less features. Having a wide and narrow beam in an led is very attractive to me. So whats the verdict so far? Any regrets? Any used ones someone wants to part with?
Love the Kraken 5000. I don't have any other experience under water with other video by Wicket posted May 6, 2017 at 5:51 PM[/GALLERY]lights but I was very pleased with these. Found myself running them on the lowest setting 90% of the time. Bad photo taken with GoPro but I'd say that eagle ray was about 15-20' away at night.

This is the first time anyone said 1 light over two less lumen ones would be better? I can afford the two 5000's but do I need to is the question hahaha.
If money's no object, my vote would have been for the 10,000 lumen solar flare!!

Last edited:
@stuartv how do you mount your archon lights ? I am looking at getting the SRP tray with locline arms and two Archon D36V lights for my gopro hero 5. The locline arms shown on SRP website are 1/2 inch hole diameter, 1 inch outside diameter. I can't find the specs on the ball mount the Archon comes with to see if they will fit into the arms as is or if I would need to buy some sort of adapter. Thanks for any advice, I'm pretty new to this.

@stuartv how do you mount your archon lights ? I am looking at getting the SRP tray with locline arms and two Archon D36V lights for my gopro hero 5. The locline arms shown on SRP website are 1/2 inch hole diameter, 1 inch outside diameter. I can't find the specs on the ball mount the Archon comes with to see if they will fit into the arms as is or if I would need to buy some sort of adapter. Thanks for any advice, I'm pretty new to this.

I have a CamDive tray and use CamDive arms. I have not tried LocLine. I worry that if it doesn't have a line through it I would lose a light if the LocLine comes apart. LocLine with a line through it is more expensive.

I use arms like these:

Amazon.com: 4 x 9”/22.8cm Camdive Double 1”Ball Arm, Aluminum Alloy Medium Length Arm, Joint Underwater Strobe/Video Arm for Underwater 1”Ball Joint Arm Strobe and Lighting Systems: Camera & Photo

I have a clamp that goes around the body of the light, like this (but not this specific one):

Amazon.com : Single Light Holder substitute Archon D32VR product : Camera & Photo

That attaches to an arm that looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/CamDive-Aluminium-Adapter-Underwater-Housing/dp/B00PC74L1A/

Clamps like these connect the arm from the light to the ball on the camera tray.

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Clamp-Underwater-Light-System/dp/B00X6X5X8M/ref=pd_bxgy_421_img_2

For my set up I use two 1300 lumen video spots... even with that at times it can be too bright at close range.. make sure anything you get is adjustable... mine has 3 intensity settings you can change on the fly. Let me know if those actually extend your distance on illumination.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom