29 April updated order: any changes for divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wnissen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The updated Shelter in Place order which was announced today irritatingly doesn't have the text of the order, but it does say in the press release that "Other activities that can resume under the new order include [...] the use of certain shared outdoor recreational facilities that were previously ordered closed, like skate parks, but not others that involve shared equipment or physical contact." Does this change anything? I live pretty far from any diving so I'm probably not going to go anytime soon while they are still recommending avoiding travel, but it sounds like you might be able to dive, assuming Monterey goes along.

Edit: the full text is available.

pretty much depends on the parking situation and whether the local PD is going to try and ticket people that aren't locals.

Would be nice to get a clear answer. The Monterey website is confusing and unclear.

I'm watching this with interest..

Edit: just read the order, didn't realize it was an Alameda County order. I can't imagine that having much impact on Monterey, but here's hoping.

Edit: just read the order, didn't realize it was an Alameda County order. I can't imagine that having much impact on Monterey, but here's hoping.
I'm assuming that most people diving in Monterey are not from Monterey County, given that it has a population of 400K, roughly the same as Oakland. So the SF Bay area orders have a big effect.

That's fair, but my point was if Monterey isn't allowing diving, I don't think an Alameda County order is going to change Monterey County's enforcement of their own orders. Hence, no impact on diving.

That's fair, but my point was if Monterey isn't allowing diving, I don't think an Alameda County order is going to change Monterey County's enforcement of their own orders. Hence, no impact on diving.
Oh, absolutely. And today we learn that Newsom is going to close all state beaches. It looks like only Monterey State Beach is a state beach, but obviously the situation is fluid.

Left hand: "We have recognized the fact that if you can safely socially distance in the confines of a grocery store, where you're all but guaranteed to touch the same objects someone else has already touched, then logic would dictate you can likely safely socially distance in the outdoors, where fresh air flows and there are few to zero common surfaces."

Right hand: "THE TREES AND BEACHES WILL SPREAD THE DISEASE!" :facepalm:

Boating is on the state approved list of activities. Go for a boat ride and "accidentally" fall in with your dive gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom