2nd air source question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sologuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
THOUGHTS please
I am -
Diving in OSW to 60'
Alum 80 / BP wing bc
30cf pony as 2nd air source

Id like to hear your opinions as best setup.
Both first stages will have pressure guages (button type on pony bottle)
Both will only have one second stage (no octo)
Strap 30 pony to main tank with bungee necklace -

Opinions please

THOUGHTS please
I am -
Diving in OSW to 60'
Alum 80 / BP wing bc
30cf pony as 2nd air source

Id like to hear your opinions as best setup.
Both first stages will have pressure guages (button type on pony bottle)
Both will only have one second stage (no octo)
Strap 30 pony to main tank with bungee necklace -

Opinions please

Sounds like a fairly standard configuration. Nicely thought out and popular kit.

My personal preference is to have my second cylinder easily removable in case I need to abandon my bcd and primary tank, so I sling it on boltsnap clips.

Another consideration is having a button gauge somewhere it can't be seen. Do you intend to only use it topside and don't intend to monitor the tank while underwater?

Sounds like a fairly standard configuration. Nicely thought out and popular kit.

My personal preference is to have my second cylinder easily removable in case I need to abandon my bcd and primary tank, so I sling it on boltsnap clips.

Another consideration is having a button gauge somewhere it can't be seen. Do you intend to only use it topside and don't intend to monitor the tank while underwater?

I plan on checking the pressure and reg before the dive.. Thank you for your response northerner

I like that idea.... someone talked me out of it (an instructor friend who is VERY strong opinion type, but does have 5000+ divews (Navy)

at 60' why bother with the 30?

tbone - Seriously ? On a Solo dive, your really asking ? Please dont be sarcastic in my thread please...

tbone - Seriously ? On a Solo dive, your really asking ? Please dont be sarcastic in my thread please...

wasn't being sarcastic, genuine question on why you feel the need to carry that big of a pony bottle, or one at all when diving that shallow

wasn't being sarcastic, genuine question on why you feel the need to carry that big of a pony bottle, or one at all when diving that shallow

I have the 30 already...
Lets see.... So Im at my turn around 20 minutes into a dive at 60 fsw... loose primary air (for whatever reason) ...and I listen to you and leave pony bottle on boat.... then what ?

I like slinging my pony so that I can see/reach the valve (air leaks, possibly forgot to turn it on?), pressure gauge, and ability to detach for whatever reason. I always check my air on pony and main tank about 10 minutes into a dive just to make sure everything is functioning normally.

I have the 30 already...
Lets see.... So Im at my turn around 20 minutes into a dive at 60 fsw... loose primary air (for whatever reason) ...and I listen to you and leave pony bottle on boat.... then what ?

shore diving or boat diving? in most cases at 60ft, you are going to be able to make a CESA or at least have sufficient amounts of breathing gas to make a normal ascent. May not necessarily be where you want to come up, but you can. If you need to make it back from where you started, then yes, redundancy is necessary and if you're shore diving you may well need 30cf to get back to the beginning

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom