2nd air source question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I skimmed the thread and so far I have seen someone had a leak in one? And others say its not comfortable to use? Or am I missing something bigger?

next time you go diving, make your entire ascent just using that. Report back how much you enjoyed it vs. a "normal" ascent on your primary.

Well yea compared to my B2 it sucks lol But I could hack it. I understand what your saying but I am entirely comfortable under water and would have no problem using my SST 1 if I had to. Last time I was at 100 ft I checked it too and it worked. Nothing breathes like my B2 though thats impossible :)

I really like the advantage of not having to reach for a second stage, if someone needs air they probably wont ask nicely, they are going to rip your primary out of your mouth.

Well yea compared to my B2 it sucks lol But I could hack it. I understand what your saying but I am entirely comfortable under water and would have no problem using my SST 1 if I had to. Last time I was at 100 ft I checked it too and it worked. Nothing breathes like my B2 though thats impossible :)

I really like the advantage of not having to reach for a second stage, if someone needs air they probably wont ask nicely, they are going to rip your primary out of your mouth.

we agree, however using another B2 on a necklace would be that much better. Of course it will breathe at 100ft, but try to make the entire move back to the anchor line and the entire ascent/safety stop on it. Very little of the complaint is about work of breathing, it's about everything else that makes it actually less streamlined and harder to use

The air 2 or atomic version works fine. Comfort is not going to be my overriding concern during an emergency. Btw, use of a woven inflator hose for the air 2 will provide a noticeable improvement in comfort.

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet. However, you would be unwise to not practice several complete ascents using the safe second of your choice. An emergency is not the time to find out it does not work as well as you think it will.

@johndiver999 braided not woven, pedantic but I'm a textile engineer so pet peeve.

Agreed though if you do full ascents using the integrated thing, I'm loving the term I heard on "the great dive podcast" calling it an air-mcdoodle, then that's fine, but since the only selling point they have is removing one hose from the regulator and it comes at the cost of comfort and being streamlined, I'm not convinced it's a great choice. Weight is also not any lighter than a traditional setup either so I'm not sure what the actual benefit is other than removing a bc inflator hose

Yup I do use a braided inflator hose. I will give it a try on the next dive. The 5 P principal of life: Proper preparation prevents poor performance :)

I might be diving the USS Mohawk Saturday so will give it a shot then.

Shaken not stirred? Hoses and hair are braided, I’ll try to commit that to memory.

If you've ever seen a maypole dance that's exactly how the braiding is done over this hoses. VERY different process and machines though.
You can weave in circles though and that is how things like fire hoses are made.
With weaving you have warp and weft yarn that are moving mostly or truly orthogonal to each other, like your jeans. One direction of yarn interlocks with the other, there is no interaction between yarn moving in like direction. An exception to this is leno weaving used for carpet backing and other things where two yarns will cross back and forth to lock with each other.
In braiding, you only have yarn in one direction and there is interaction between all of those yarns as they go back and forth. Shoe laces, hair, cover of paracord *same exact process as making these hoses btw*, most ropes, cave line, etc are all braided.

If you've ever seen a maypole dance that's exactly how the braiding is done over this hoses. VERY different process and machines though.
You can weave in circles though and that is how things like fire hoses are made.
With weaving you have warp and weft yarn that are moving mostly or truly orthogonal to each other, like your jeans. One direction of yarn interlocks with the other, there is no interaction between yarn moving in like direction. An exception to this is leno weaving used for carpet backing and other things where two yarns will cross back and forth to lock with each other.
In braiding, you only have yarn in one direction and there is interaction between all of those yarns as they go back and forth. Shoe laces, hair, cover of paracord *same exact process as making these hoses btw*, most ropes, cave line, etc are all braided.
The things one can learn on Scubaboard. :)

Opinions please

sologuy,

I am not a fan of any configuration that impedes doffing your gear--if there is no compelling reason for it. Bungeeing your bailout regulator under your neck means there is one more step (i.e., remove your bungeed reg) you need to do to doff your gear.

Simply secure your bailout reg the "usual" way: use an inner tube band (or bungee) or two, around the bailout tank, to secure its reg. (I am assuming you are slinging your bailout bottle.)

If you need to remove your bailout cylinder for whatever reason, easy peasy.

If you need to doff your scuba for whatever reason, easy peasy.

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom