2nd night dive, seal encounter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biodiversity_guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was able to go back to a dive site I had done earlier as part of my AOW and repeat it as my 2nd night dive. The timing was dictated more by the current table (slack time) rather than a clock or human schedule. We got wet ~8:45 pm or so Oct 28th.

We dove Day Island Wall moving to the south, and as we got to the 1/2 point based on air consumption we came across another section of wall that dropped off from our depth of 50 ft or so, down much deeper, and also across the Tacoma narrows. As we paused and contemplated the darkness to our west, a great grey and white form shot through our beams. A bit later he (?) returned and then spent a few minutes darting around us.

It was a harbour seal. They are much more graceful in the water than out. Wow, can they move and change direction.

This one was almost dog-like as he circled and moved across the landscape with us. He did enjoy taking advantage of the lights to target confused fish. Ulterior motive. Felt like he might have enountered divers in his past.

It was certainly a new encounter and made for fun stories back at work last week. First contact UW with a large mammal. 2nd night dive. 10th DS dive or so. Making progress.

I just finished the night dive componet of my AOW (2 night dives). It's great! no seals for me though, just lots more cephalopods.
However I do work with seals every day at the zoo and it's amazing how playful and social they are with humans by nature.

I love diving with the Sealions and Seals in California. It is amazing and humbling to swim with them. I could only dream of being able to move the way they do.

I was fortunate enough to get a nice video clip of diving with a sealion in Ca. It was hard to follow her with my camera!

Tina
Scuba Sciences, Inc.
www.scubasciences.com

Nice. During my OW course, I had a seal nibbling on my fins while I was trying to hover. Then he swam around us for very close for a while before taking off.

Back
Top Bottom