2nd Stage Adjustments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gulfdiver

If your fine tuning knob allows you to breath easer at
depth wouldn't that mean more air passing thru your regulater, hence less air time not more?

Regards,
M

Hi everyone,
For a long time I didn't know how to make the best use of my adjustable second stage. Then I decided to read the Owner's manual and founded an interesting information. For normal use, leave it at the easiest position. You will turn the knob in the harder postion only in a freeflow situation (ie going down the anchor line against a strong current). If you have experienced that, then you know what I am talking about.
A lot of people believe that if a reg is too easy to breathe from, they will use more air. It is not true. Your breathing amplitude and rate set your air consumption. Having a hard reg increase the risk of overexhaustion in difficult situation.
If you use your adjustable second stage as an octopus, in the harder position it will be less likely to freeflow. Once in your mouth, adjust it to the desired position.
Today, I have a G250 attached around my neck with a bungee and a S600 in my mouth. Both are adjustable and they work great.
Philippe

When I converted from my R.Aquamaster to single hose, I chose a Scubapro adjustable because the non adjustable regs seemed to breath "funny". Since then, I found the adjustment knob to be of use when hanging on the side of the boat, regulator dangling, bucking strong currents, and when being pulled by a sled. Sometimes, should the 2nd stg develop a minor freeflow due to poppet wear, this can be stopped by turning the knob in. I like the idea of tuning the second to feeflow as suggested by neal because there is less force on the 2nd stg poppet during storage. Helps to use the diaphragm depressor too(G).

My buddy didn't like the adjustable 2nd because the knob would freeze or become hard to turn. However, the knob and stem are easy to remove from the old metal regs. A little cleaning and greasing cure the problem.

This brings up a question for the techs. How does one remove the knob/stem from the plastic 2nd, the G250hp? There is no circlip to remove or anything that I can see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom