2nd Strobe? stick with my current YS-D1 or get the 250. DSLR use wide/macro.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BN16JIM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

I am taking the big leap to move away from my G-15 and take my canon 5D mark iii underwater! I already own a single YS-D1 which I have been very happy with shooting about 80% in manual. I have yet to decide on a housing. Contenders are nauticam, aquatica or poss sea & sea.

Q. Moving up to full frame DSLR should I consider selling my YS-D1 to part fund a replacement pair of 250's OR has anyone experienced using one of each strobe together as a set up on a DSLR camera? I feel like I would be pretty happy running with another YS-D1 but haven't seen many DSLR users with this set up.

I equally enjoy both wide angle & macro. Any input would be very much appreciated!

I have a Nikon D7000. I use a Nauticam housing. I really like it. The control is very precise.

Now having 2 strobes really helps. One strobe can work well for macro. You can get nicer effects with 2 strobes. For macro having strobes of different power usually works fine. You have a primary and a secondary.

In wide angle, I think that having powerful and balanced strobes is far more important especially in reef scenes. Of course, if money is tight, you can go with an unbalanced arrangement and upgrade later. I think that some of the Nauticam housings allow for up to 4 strobes, so a weaker strobe could work fine as a tertiary.

id go with ys d1 , 250 is just too darn big and it can only go a ''little'' further in light range compared to d1. d1 is just awesome , and 250 is too darn expensive :p

The big advantage of the 250 is the recycle time if you are shooting at medium power, and this can be a great advantage if you are shooting fast moving subjects (sharks, big fish etc.). For me the big downside is the proprietary battery/charger and the size/weight. I think 2 D1s should do fine for 99% of most folks shooting but only you can say if very high speed shooting is where you are going.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom