3/2mm wetsuit for warm water??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wsugoalie

Registered
Reaction score
Is a 3/2mm wetsuit fine for Hawaii type water in the summer? The 2mm is in the kneebacks and the arms while everything else is 3mm. Please let me know your opinions. :wink:

Never dived the waters out there, but I've worn my 2/3 in water from 68 to 80 degrees F and have been quite comfortable.

As a backup, hooded vests are relatively cheap, cover a lot of your heat loss areas (head/neck/shoulders), and don't take much room to pack. Kinda depends on your cold tolerance, activity level and exposure time. Can you check on the water temps with a Dive op in the area (in theory, should be in high '70s, which i'd be fine with in a 3/2).

jim

Heck, I thought all they dove in in Hawaii was their Skibby's!! lol j/k A 3/2 should be fine 90% of the time, really depends on your depth too though.

wsugoalie:
Is a 3/2mm wetsuit fine for Hawaii type water in the summer? The 2mm is in the kneebacks and the arms while everything else is 3mm. Please let me know your opinions. :wink:

Depends, I think, on your personal tolerance for cold and how many dives you will be doing per day. I never dived Hawaii...well twice in Hanauma Bay...but I surfed and body surfed there for nine years and the water isn't warm. Not like the Philippines. You're in the middle of the Pacific and it's a bit nippy. I would use a 4x3 ml even in summer for multiple dives per day. Or at least maybe put a 2 ml vest on under the full suit. Hank

You should be fine with a 3mm in the summer. I dove in a 3mm shorty in April (water temp was 74 degrees) and was comfortable the entire time, though I would have preferred a full suit. The water in August isn't too much warmer than that, so you will want at least a 3mm suit if you're fairly cold tolerant.

If you're the type of person who likes to wear a 3mm suit in 86 degree water, definitely consider a 5mm for Hawaii.

We really cannot say. I know gals who freeze diving in 5 mils in 80oF water. Just depends on the diver...

Summertime water temps here are around 78 - 79 degrees. Wintertime it drops down to around 72.

I dive a 3/2 full wetsuit year round, but in the winter I add a 2 mil hooded vest under the wetsuit. I have a tendency to get cold - there are some people I know that dive year round in skins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom