3.5 weeks in Malaysia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveUAE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all

Looking for recommendations and suggestions for our 3.5 week trip to Malaysia in July 2024.

3 travellers - our daughter is 13, but do not dive, hence we need places, where she can snorkle and I would love for her to see turtles nesting and hatching, orangutan and general wild life. She also likes zip lines, rafting and fun parks.

Trying to keep accommodation at 700 MYR or less/night not including food.

Husband and I have already been to KL, Sabah and Sarawak - in 2008 - including Sipadan and Lankayan, Sukau, Sepilok, KK etc.

Day 1. Arrival late evening - 1 n KL - Close to or at airport - any recommendations?

Day 2 Early morning flight to Kota Bharu and transfer to Perhentian Besar - Bubbles Resort - hoping to see some turtles nesting and/or hatchlings.

Day 3- 5 Bubbles Resort.

Day 6. Transfer to Tuna Bay resort/somewhere, where we can walk and try other restaurants/walks - any recommendations? (Still Perhentian, maybe go to another island instead?)

Day 7-13 Tuna Bay or similar

Day 14 Transfer to Sandakan - Stay at Sepilok

Day 15 Sepilok/Sandakan

Day 16-18 Sukau - maybe Greenview or Abai

Day 19 Sandakan to Kota Kinabalu

Day 20-22 Kota Kinabalu - visit zip Borneo + maybe "Tip of Borneo" and/or diving

Day 23 KK-KL

Day 24 KL - Bird park or trip to Malacca

Day 25 Fly out

For diving we like both big and small stuff (frog fish, sea horses, ghost pipe fish and nudies) but get bored if we "only" see "fish" and "nice" corals (for instance north part of Red Sea we do not really find good).

Most likely can't go to Sipadan and Lankayan due to restrictions (travel insurance won't cover). Did not check about Layang Layang, but way out of our price league.

1: is it too much time in Perhentian (Besar)? We could do Redang or another of the islands off the coast - where would be good? (Looking to stay on the island to avoid being away all day for diving)
2: We want to stay at least 6 nights once during our trip.
3: anything else good for teenagers in Sandakan/KK I should look into?

Thank you.

There are couple resorts on Tenggol Island but they are expensive.
Alternatively:

Have a nice trip.

There are couple resorts on Tenggol Island but they are expensive.
Alternatively:

Have a nice trip.
Thanks!
As far as I can se both Coral Beach and The One are within our budget, since prices are inclusive of meals and diving - is the diving at Tenggol far better than Perhentian? I see they have whale shark migration from August onwards, but we'll be there in July.

Thanks!
As far as I can se both Coral Beach and The One are within our budget, since prices are inclusive of meals and diving - is the diving at Tenggol far better than Perhentian? I see they have whale shark migration from August onwards, but we'll be there in July.
Far better? I won't say that but at least Tenggol is much more quieter.

If you're going up to Kudat (tip of Borneo), you could stop in Kota Belud on the way. Bigfin divers is a great place to stay and dive. They do snorkelling too. I assume your daughter isn't interested in doing her open water? I know the owners, really nice place to stay and dive. Vey quiet.

If you're going up to Kudat (tip of Borneo), you could stop in Kota Belud on the way. Bigfin divers is a great place to stay and dive. They do snorkelling too. I assume your daughter isn't interested in doing her open water? I know the owners, really nice place to stay and dive. Vey quiet.
Thanks. She’s having problems with the eustatic tube so can’t equalise. She also struggles during flights. I’m not sure it will ever get better (unless she goes through surgery, which she won’t do).

How’s the diving in Kota Belud compared to the dives in the national park?

Pulao Tioman. Stay in Ayr Batang. Nice village, no cars, good restaurants and great snorkeling. Look into Bamboo Hill. It is at the end of the path and has sweeping views of the beach and ocean. Plus great snorkeling right in front. And there's a fresh water stream that comes down from the hills that is home to a bunch of different fresh water shrimp species.

Thanks. She’s having problems with the eustatic tube so can’t equalise. She also struggles during flights. I’m not sure it will ever get better (unless she goes through surgery, which she won’t

I, too, was diagnosed with delicate eustacian tubes. There are stretches she can do to help alleviate that but the go to has always been Scubafed.

After some years of diving the issue just sort of went away on its own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom