3 Days In Mauritius For Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlier

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My wife and I are visiting Mauritius for about 3-4 days during the second week of August. For context, we will be sailing from the Carados Carajos shoals for coral sampling during the strong 2016 El Niño. We will have about four days post sailing for a few days of diving. Given a choice, we prefer heathy coral, schooling fish, and pelagics (if possible). Any suggestions dive operators and dive sites. Oh yes, suggestions for a nice hotel will be appreciated. Thanks, Charlie

I can suggest staying out of Flic En Flac - while a lot of dive ops are situated up that way they are generally all doing the same inside lagoon sites which was pretty poor and less than spectacular diving. Flic En Flac itself is pretty grimey. Avoid the capital traffic is horrible. Grand Bay and Blue Bay in the north are beautiful with the lux hotels situated up there. I only managed to get one dive in and basically heard unless you can find an op who will take you out of the lagoon then you are pretty much stuck with the lets go diving on our holiday crowd. Whale Rock seems to be the standout site. I went out from the south (Mahebourg) with Coral diving centre but in the North these guys get a good rap Diving Mauritius with ocean spirit pereybere

Thanks for the help. After our sampling on the Carados Carajos shoals, we will go to a marina in Grand Baie (north side of island). Thus, we will be close to Pereybere and Ocean Sprit. We are not interested in diving in a small lagoon with the holiday crowd. I'll get back to everyone after we contact Ocean Spirit Diving. Its too bad that we will not be able to sail from Cocos-Keeling to the Chagos Archipelago. Still two weeks of diving on the Carados Carajos shoals will be fun. Unfortunately, I will have to learn how to dive with steel tanks (Faber steel 85 or 10.5l). charlie

Oh I should've remembered to mention that Charlier..Mauritius, Reunion and Madagascar a lot of ops use short fat 12L steels with two valves - they did not work very well with my Aqualung Zuma BCD nor my dive buddies Halcyon BPW set up - Id email ahead asking if they have single valve or double valve tanks and if Al80s are available - I did not like diving with these http://www.tauchshoponline.ch/contents/media/aqualung_tag_ventil.jpg

Good suggestion. My wife uses a Zuma BCD and I use a Halcyon BPW. I will ask for a single valve AL80 tank. Our flight from Singapore might go thru Perth. Shall we stop over? charlie

update - we are taking direct flights from Singapore to Mauritius. one night at port and off to Carados Carajos shoals for a week or so. best...

I have been told by several people that Mauritius does not offer a great deal in terms of healthy corals and school of fishes. When you are there, I would appreciate a small report if I need to change my mind.

I have heard similar comments. I will try to remember to post a short review of Mauritius diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom