3+ deco dives per day?

Three+ staged decompression dives in 24hrs?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The poll says "staged deco dives". TBH, I'm not clear on the exact definition of that. Any deco dive with mandatory stops? Or with more than one mandatory stop? A deco dive with at least one gas switch to a rich deco gas?

And is the poll intended to really ask about the general case of "staged deco dives" or is it really just asking if anyone else would do the dives that Rob and Peter did on that day?

3 Meg tooth dives, to 100', each with 5 - 10 minutes of deco on O2, in one day? Yep. Not worried about that at all.

3 dives to 200' in one day? Maybe one day, but right now, I don't think so.

Well, I have found my personal tiredness limit. Two, 2hr dives each with 15-20min of deco in a day is it for me.. Was a whipped pup at the end of each of those days.

I have started to wonder to myself sometimes if my tiredness after a dive is because the dive was that tiring or if it's because I pushed too close to the limits of getting bent.

It's weird sometimes how I finish a dive and feel beat, but then another day doing what seems like the "same" dive, I get out feeling great. Leaves me wondering if doing some extra deco time at the end is the difference.

I feel like I'm starting to see some trends in myself and that at least some of the time my level of fatigue after a dive or day of diving may really be related to not doing enough deco. i used to always just chalk it up to the dive itself being tiring or whatever. Not really considering that it might really be my body telling me something related to impending DCS.

I feel like I'm starting to see some trends in myself and that at least some of the time my level of fatigue after a dive or day of diving may really be related to not doing enough deco. i used to always just chalk it up to the dive itself being tiring or whatever. Not really considering that it might really be my body telling me something related to impending DCS.
I lower my GF high and do more deco. I always felt what I was doing was borderline, so I have been adding time to what my buddy's think "is fine" for over a decade now. But this article comparing and contrasting recreational and commercial deco was an eye opener on how skimpy we often are.
Alert Diver | Anatomy of a Commercial Mixed-Gas Dive
The commercial profile has 1.5hrs more deco for instance, some of that is due to the perhaps unwise decision to switch to air at 160ft. But there's a whole ton of O2 time that is absent from a more typical recreational profile.

For 30/70 deco dives to say 165 feet requiring 10 minutes or less of deco with 50 and 100, it appears that it is possible to be sufficiently clear after 2 hours on MultiDeco to do the same profile over and over.

I don’t think I would really do that, but it seems possible to do a number of dives with those gasses, that surface interval and GF.

For comparative purposes, people in Bonaire routinely do five or more recreational dives in a day to the NDL on x32.

And is the poll intended to really ask about the general case of "staged deco dives" or is it really just asking if anyone else would do the dives that Rob and Peter did on that day?

Valid question. More specifically, is anyone Chomping at the bit to go to a 220 foot bounce dive after completing two dives to the same depth with with long bottom times and crazy deco schedules?

I have started to wonder to myself sometimes if my tiredness after a dive is because the dive was that tiring or if it's because I pushed too close to the limits of getting bent.

It's weird sometimes how I finish a dive and feel beat, but then another day doing what seems like the "same" dive, I get out feeling great. Leaves me wondering if doing some extra deco time at the end is the difference.

OC in Doby's case = increased dehydration. 4+ hours of exposure = thermal stress, even in the warmest of waters, which causes increased caloric expenditure. These things can make you tired.

OC in Doby's case = increased dehydration. 4+ hours of exposure = thermal stress, even in the warmest of waters, which causes increased caloric expenditure. These things can make you tired.

I was really talking about OC for me, too, as I only just starting diving CC. But, now that you make the distinction, I did note that I did 12 CC dives during my training in Key Largo and I finished every day feeling great! The best I have ever felt after that much diving. And we were mostly diving GF85/85 the whole time, too. On OC, I have been using GF50/80 as my standard for a while now.

I was really talking about OC for me, too, as I only just starting diving CC. But, now that you make the distinction, I did note that I did 12 CC dives during my training in Key Largo and I finished every day feeling great! The best I have ever felt after that much diving. And we were mostly diving GF85/85 the whole time, too. On OC, I have been using GF50/80 as my standard for a while now.
Breathing warm and moist gas makes a lot of difference.
Your pulmonary stress is way lower, the amount of heat you lose is also prportional not only to the heat loss due to the cold gas but also to the latent evaporation heat of the water you lose in your lungs ... that is 600 cal per gram. That heat has to be made up by your methabolism by burning fuel ... a lot of stress.
In rebreather diving sometimes the gas is even too warm (warm water diving and thermal 8nsulation around the canister). In fact in shallow dives summertime here, I remive the neoprene insulation around the canister to cool off the gas a (tiny) bit.

Breathing warm and moist gas makes a lot of difference.
Your pulmonary stress is way lower, the amount of heat you lose is also prportional not only to the heat loss due to the cold gas but also to the latent evaporation heat of the water you lose in your lungs ... that is 600 cal per gram. That heat has to be made up by your methabolism by burning fuel ... a lot of stress.
In rebreather diving sometimes the gas is even too warm (warm water diving and thermal 8nsulation around the canister). In fact in shallow dives summertime here, I remive the neoprene insulation around the canister to cool off the gas a (tiny) bit.

That's interesting, I am a UK diver, so cold water and my KISS came with a neoprene cover that the original owner had made up but I discounted using it because I thought the effect would be very marginal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom