• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

3 divers missing off of Java

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by whysocold, Nov 4, 2019.

1. whysocold

whysocold Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Title is misleading because it only mentions the 2 Chinese divers. There is also 1 Singaporean diver lost.

Two Chinese divers missing off Indonesia's western Java Island - Xinhua | English.news.cn

chillyinCanada likes this.
  2. outofofficebrb

outofofficebrb HARRO HUNNAYYY

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I hope they are found soon. Is it possible current took them somewhere? I am not familiar with the waters off Java though I dive Indo often. I do wonder when I hear about disappearances if a PLB would have made a difference.

3. whysocold

whysocold Solo Diver

It sounds like they would have been in the Sunda Strait which seems to have strong currents. I'm not familiar with the area though.

I always carry a PLB and radio when diving in Indonesia even though the other passengers/crew/friends make fun of me.

DandyDon likes this.
  4. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

I can't find anything in the Singapore news.

5. BlueTrin

BlueTrin DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    S'porean among 3 divers missing in Indonesia

I guess a strong current would explain how three people could go missing in a single dive ?

chillyinCanada likes this.
  6. Dan

Dan Orca

That's correct. Sangiang Island is northeast of Krakatoa. I dove there back in 2008. Not much to see & current could be treacherous there.

Having PLB would definitely help. I carry both PLB and PAB.

7. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    They would need to buy the unit and register it in their home countries, but however those communicate with local searchers, they would have given Gps info to the searchers who could have closed in on the location to home in on the PLB's local transmissions and strobe lights - and be saved already.

Then they would need to return their PLBs to ACR company if that brand with a rescue story for free replacement of a new unit with new battery. I haven't had to use mine yet so after 5 years I paid $100 for new battery and professional servicing & testing.

A PLB & canister might be too expensive for some local divers, but not for anyone who can afford to travel. As cheap as they are now, it amazes me that anyone would go to sea without - anywhere.

I can think of several replies for such rudeness. The first one that comes to mind might be "Yeah, I wish I had more reason to trust you folks."

Saniflush likes this.
  8. Dan

Dan Orca

Here is another diving accident there on September 2018.

Wisatawan Tewas Saat Fun Diving di Pulau Sangiang

"...apparently there was suddenly a strong current appeared and finally we got separated. Then the group made a rescue effort, but there was no response from the victim and the victim's body was floating, " said Suci, a member of fun diving.

9. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

Is this the rescue team? :eek:

10. Dan

Dan Orca

Not sure. Basarnas (Indonesian SAR team) is usually wear orange uniform.