3 divers missing off of Java

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whysocold

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Title is misleading because it only mentions the 2 Chinese divers. There is also 1 Singaporean diver lost.

Two Chinese divers missing off Indonesia's western Java Island - Xinhua | English.news.cn

JAKARTA, Nov. 4 (Xinhua) -- Two Chinese citizens went missing when diving in waters off the west most of Java Island, the Chinese embassy in Indonesia said in a statement on Monday.

On the evening of Sunday, the embassy received a report that three Chinese were missing off the Sangiang island in Banten province which turned out to be two Chinese citizens and one Singapore citizen after verification.

The embassy said it immediately launched an emergency mechanism and sent staff to the Banten Search and Rescue Center to learn about the search and rescue efforts.

As of press time, the three divers have not been found, the embassy said.

The Chinese embassy reminded in the statement that diving does entail some risk, Chinese citizens must carefully assess their own physical conditions before diving, choose services provided by qualified tourism agencies, rent qualified sea vessels, and pay close attention to the local weather and geographical conditions.

I hope they are found soon. Is it possible current took them somewhere? I am not familiar with the waters off Java though I dive Indo often. I do wonder when I hear about disappearances if a PLB would have made a difference.

It sounds like they would have been in the Sunda Strait which seems to have strong currents. I'm not familiar with the area though.

I always carry a PLB and radio when diving in Indonesia even though the other passengers/crew/friends make fun of me.

I can't find anything in the Singapore news.

S'porean among 3 divers missing in Indonesia

JAKARTA • A Singaporean is among three divers reported missing while diving in waters off Banten province's Sangiang Island in the Sunda Strait.

Indonesia's search and rescue agency (Basarnas) has been conducting search operations, involving at least three navy vessels, two police patrol boats and a helicopter, since a diving mate of the missing trio alerted the authorities to the incident on Sunday.

A total of seven foreign tourists went out diving in two groups, but the missing trio - one Singaporean and two Chinese nationals - did not return to base.

The Singaporean was identified by Basarnas as Wang Bing Yang. All three missing are male.

The Singapore Embassy in Jakarta has been in contact with the family of the Singaporean, according to a Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman yesterday. The embassy has been liaising closely with the Indonesian authorities. "A consular officer from the embassy is on the ground to provide assistance and close support," the spokesman said.

Wahyudi Soeriaatmadja

I hope they are found soon. Is it possible current took them somewhere? I am not familiar with the waters off Java though I dive Indo often. I do wonder when I hear about disappearances if a PLB would have made a difference.
I guess a strong current would explain how three people could go missing in a single dive ?

It sounds like they would have been in the Sunda Strait which seems to have strong currents. I'm not familiar with the area though.

I always carry a PLB and radio when diving in Indonesia even though the other passengers/crew/friends make fun of me.

That's correct. Sangiang Island is northeast of Krakatoa. I dove there back in 2008. Not much to see & current could be treacherous there.

Having PLB would definitely help. I carry both PLB and PAB.

I do wonder when I hear about disappearances if a PLB would have made a difference.
They would need to buy the unit and register it in their home countries, but however those communicate with local searchers, they would have given Gps info to the searchers who could have closed in on the location to home in on the PLB's local transmissions and strobe lights - and be saved already.

Then they would need to return their PLBs to ACR company if that brand with a rescue story for free replacement of a new unit with new battery. I haven't had to use mine yet so after 5 years I paid $100 for new battery and professional servicing & testing.

A PLB & canister might be too expensive for some local divers, but not for anyone who can afford to travel. As cheap as they are now, it amazes me that anyone would go to sea without - anywhere.

I can think of several replies for such rudeness. The first one that comes to mind might be "Yeah, I wish I had more reason to trust you folks."

Here is another diving accident there on September 2018.

Wisatawan Tewas Saat Fun Diving di Pulau Sangiang

"...apparently there was suddenly a strong current appeared and finally we got separated. Then the group made a rescue effort, but there was no response from the victim and the victim's body was floating, " said Suci, a member of fun diving.

Is this the rescue team? :eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom