3 Indonesian destinations Kalimaya - Komodo - Bali : Aug18 Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This will be a 3 parts report from my latest divetrip 3 weeks mid august/early september 2018 in Bali and Nusa Tenggara islands.

First part Kalimaya Resort - East Sumbawa :

I first heard/read about Kalimaya on this board more or less a year ago. My summer holidays were already booked at the time, it was too late to revert though I kept the idea in the back of my head for this year.

Booking directly with them is really easy, the Kalimaya selling team provides lots of information and full replies in a minimum time, I was even scared that was too much organized looing at their too glossy flyers for a resort located in Indonesia... there's even an electronic agreement process at the time of sending back your information.

Fear not! The place is really remote after 1hr flight from Bali (I hate WIngsAir with the way they change gates just after you checked on the LCD screen, only advise for final call etc. I will take Nam Air next time) and 2hrs drive on a mountainous winding road.

The aircon bungalows all facing the sea are quite luxurious although a little smallish (photogs take a lot of room), but the outdoor bathrooms and the large terrace are compensating for that.

Guest and managers concregate around the swimmingpool before lunch/dinner time sitting on the giant sofas or on lounge chairs,there are wo communal tables where everybody eats altogether after the chef ceremoniously announces the menu (and funnlily enough everybody applauses for the entertainment). Food quality is good, mainly western/asian fusion kind with a choice af veggie/non veggie meals.

Diving is organized with 2 boat dives in the morning and additional shore dives with or without guiding in the afternoon or on demand. Tegan and Stu the managers get alternatively on board and guide the divers, Marco is the inhouse local guide, Arif is an indonesian veteran instructor and a swimming encyclopedia of all over Indonesia dive spots (some may have known him from Weh or from the Pindito LiveAboard), Coco and Pieter a couple of european instructors also guide the guests.
I was assigned Coco as my guide, an experienced swiss girl instructor from Komodo and the Gilis.

I was eager to check the diving with a lot of expectation, as there is the vicinity of Sangeang volcano with promising black sand dives, as well as the western part of Komodo NP and Banta island facing a few miles east of the resort.

So now it's time to start diving as the boat is getting ready :
44642888271_6c3686ea29_c.jpg

Diving around Gili Banta, I was lucky (in a way) to dive "High Voltage" at slack tide with absolutely no current, (though I would have been curious to see that dive site with even more fish and expanded cral polyps). The feel is that I was diving Alor, excellent viz, excellent coral life, walls and electric blue water, excellent dive.

42833035530_d4fdd11152_c.jpg

43923942384_fa28e9a22d_c.jpg

44642723271_f93088d725_c.jpg

When the snake came to paradise :
44642722911_13271bbc6e_c.jpg

There's also a spot where mantas are almost guaranteed but I prefered to skip this one to return on Sangeang volcano which was my instant favorite as soon as I got into the water.

Sangeang volcano is another story.

After 45 speedboat ride you get close to the always fuming island and select either black sand or coral dives. There might be a liveaboard or two leaving the area but generally we'd expect to be the only divers around, that's the beauty of Eastern Sumbawa.

29704798857_a9b2c0f0cb_c.jpg

Unluckily there was already a tender from Mermaid's liveaboard picking up their divers.
Even though it was 100m away I knew I could put a name on that tall silhouette standing cluelessly on his barge without his longview glass like the infamous Captain Bligh, abandoned by the Bounty though still not by Emily: this is how I recognized Billt4sf I met a week before in Bali, after he was ending his dive on Bubble reef and being picked up. I could almost hear him cursing the world on his boat “I hate this… and I hate that…”,. (IMO they should have left him drift to Timor like the original Bligh... but that's another point of view : mine.).

Back to interesting facts : the crown of the jewel in this area is Bubbles reef which immediately went in my top 5 favorite dives. It starts with a black sand area covered with glowingly colorful corals absolutely untouched then continues with a ridge covered with crinoids and anthias dancing around the green or orange hard corals, a valley leads to a forest of snowy white black corals (wonder why these white Christmas trees were named “black” corals) within which schools of sweetlips float around, on the shallower way to exit the black sand turns into yellow rusty colors from the sulphur, the water becomes warmer as the volcano bubbles spring steadily from the bottom.

43783320245_d867536d5b_c.jpg

43783319945_f6ce39bd2a_c.jpg

43783320065_f3b7352f27_c.jpg

43783319765_1f0717f6d5_c.jpg

The beauty of the dive comes from the variety of life you can find and the diversity of photo ops : wide angle on the amazing corals, sweetlip schools, macro for the abundance of nudibranchs, sometimes yes, a blue ring octopus comes on a shallower reef and performs its psychedelic antics.

44697540621_7d42e195b0_c.jpg

44697541611_0af1f53faa_c.jpg

Around Sangeang island there are a few black sand dive spots alive with macro critters. It”s also time for a 1h break and sometimes assist to a traditional sailingboat race.
43924146144_d121bde95d_c.jpg

Black sand host nudibranchs mostly, but also froggies, ghost pipefish, etc. the configuration of the dives here as well as the critter life is very similar to Tulamben’s black sand dive sites.
I also had night dives on the black sand spots next to the resort, night dives are always excellent and fruitful in terms of critters.

29760489277_4e635a0a84_c.jpg

29760489077_6b210004ae_c.jpg

42887672240_f348180712_c.jpg

43924234204_b4aca71fcc_c.jpg

43924233974_0ce5bd3e31_c.jpg

This one is special : Coco my swiss guide thought she was pointing me a pipehorse while I thought I was photographying a green latreutes shrimp. Only the full screen display unraveled the unconscious teamwork when looking back at the image.

43924234834_4cf7c017d5_c.jpg

All in all I am really looking forward coming back to Kalimaya resort for a next dive trip, this stay was too short for an excellent destination providing amazing dives, which would really deserve at least a full diving week.

Next destination : Komodo

Bonjour @Luko

Ahh I will not forget the surprise of that last photo. So good. I still can't believe I didn't see the shrimp.
Great diving with you.

Cheers
Coco

Brilliant as usual!!
It looks like a really special place.
Surprising how clear the water is, given the usual viz you get in Komodo...which is not very far away.

The banter between you and Bill is friggen hilarious!!

Great report. Wonderful pics. Best Blue-ring octo pic I have ever seen!! We're headed to Raja at the end of November. First time. Can't wait. And, can't wait for reports 2 and 3.

Rob

Ahh I will not forget the surprise of that last photo. So good. I still can't believe I didn't see the shrimp.
Great diving with you.
Hey nice to see you here, Coco!
Was really good diving with you. (You can witness I didn't say "Coco is a DB" like I named some other instr. at your previous place...)

Luko
nice detail report with your amazing pics as usual.
I'm jealous; never been to Kalimaya - and unfortunately my next trip to Indonesia will be end of December,
Can't wait the second and third parts
Thanks Wisnu,
December is obviously not the best time to go but you should def plan a stay there, if it were only for Sangeang it would be still worth it, but there are other excellent spots to dive (except the one Stu mentioned, private joke for Kalimaya staff) .

The banter between you and Bill is friggen hilarious!!
See what's its like to play with the french "bear", Bill. :p ...'ope you don't mind.

Nice report and wonderful photographs. I agree that Sangeang and Gili Banta have very nice dive sites, but I wish that the region was not overfished. It’s rare to see even small schools of trevally, tuna, etc.

So why did you visit high voltage at slack tide? Did you visit other dive sites @G. Banta

We went to Kalimaya a few months ago and absolutely loved the resort and the bungalows and the food and the ambiance. However we were disappointed with the diving, having dived the area on a liveaboard in 2011. The weather was very very rough, so we could not get to some of the further sites and we heard lots of dynamiting under water.

However the house reef is amazing and the fish life really prolific, due to the work the resorts managers have done on building excellent relationships with the local people. But getting in and out we horrible due to the weather !

So why did you visit high voltage at slack tide? Did you visit other dive sites @G. Banta
Well, I didn't find it that much overfished compared to say Maumere, even though without any current at High Voltage there were schools of fish,hence my regret not seeing what it's worth with at least some current.... Not even speaking about the fish life in the deeper parts of Bubbles reef where it can be packed.
OTOH I had a dive inside the bay which was very disappointing, another group had many mantas in a southern dive spot but we didn't go east side if that what you want to know.
My stay was only 4 days for a "check out" and since it was a positive wide angle/macro mix for me, I will definitely be back.

Re- why slack tide, I can't say, Arif was even surprized it was that current quiet, everybody said it was the first time they could watch the walls from a good distance and get a full panorama of the divesite. It's also possible that due to some divers' experience that is not something they will be looking for.
That said although current is a usually a good thing, I had for instance an extraordinary dive on Crystal rock later on with zero/zilch/nada current, so we could start the dive from the small pinnacle to the big one, reverse from the usual split : it was packed with schools of fish with the presence of 3 mantas twirling at surface.

We went to Kalimaya a few months ago and absolutely loved the resort and the bungalows and the food and the ambiance. However we were disappointed with the diving, having dived the area on a liveaboard in 2011. The weather was very very rough, so we could not get to some of the further sites and we heard lots of dynamiting under water.

However the house reef is amazing and the fish life really prolific, due to the work the resorts managers have done on building excellent relationships with the local people. But getting in and out we horrible due to the weather !
Hence it says much about planning a stay at Kalimaya accordingly, it's not about the dive spots quality but rather their accessibility at the period of stay.
I heard some dynamite on High Voltage i think but generally speaking I haven't seen that much traces on the reef with one exception, as for the fishlife as I replied before, I really can't complain on the site I dived.

Well, I didn't find it that much overfished compared to say Maumere, even though without any current at High Voltage there were schools of fish,hence my regret not seeing what it's worth with at least some current.... Not even speaking about the fish life in the deeper parts of Bubbles reef where it can be packed.
OTOH I had a dive inside the bay which was very disappointing, another group had many mantas in a southern dive spot but we didn't go east side if that what you want to know.
My stay was only 4 days for a "check out" and since it was a positive wide angle/macro mix for me, I will definitely be back.
Overfishing at Maumere is a low bar for a comparison. Although, I have heard dynamite fishing at Gili Banta. Bubble reef is a very nice site. I explored the site to about 35 m depth with pygmy seashorses on fans 27m) with lots of small fish, including sweetlips and snappers. These sites provide very nice night diving (something that I rarely get excited about) and good check dives for a Komodo trip.

Re- why slack tide, I can't say, Arif was even surprized it was that current quiet, everybody said it was the first time they could watch the walls from a good distance and get a full panorama of the divesite. It's also possible that due to some divers' experience that is not something they will be looking for.
I agree that some divers would not like High Voltage or Rollercoaster with strong currents. It would be fun to visit the sites at slack tide and view of the dive site from a distance. I never had that experience.

That said although current is a usually a good thing, I had for instance an extraordinary dive on Crystal rock later on with zero/zilch/nada current, so we could start the dive from the small pinnacle to the big one, reverse from the usual split : it was packed with schools of fish with the presence of 3 mantas twirling at surface.

Interesting comment. One of our last dives at Crystal Rock without current, we saw white sharks leading a large school of fusiliers. The fusiliers were using the sharks has a loofah, scraping parasites off of their skin. That said, in my experience, Crystal or Castle a Rock is a so so dive without current.

Lastly, how would you compare Kalimaya with Alor regarding the House reef and over all abundance of fish, coral health and ecological diversity?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom