30 days until I start my first class, where can I get gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i2iSTUDIOS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been reading and talking to my friends to the the basic equipment needed. "mask, snorkel, boots, strap fins and gloves" Are there dealers on the forums here I can find and talk to to buy the items I need? Thanks i'm super excited to get started!!!

Normally courses are taken through a local dive shop and they will be able to sell you the basics, you shouldn't have to get your own gloves.

I've been reading and talking to my friends to the the basic equipment needed. "mask, snorkel, boots, strap fins and gloves" Are there dealers on the forums here I can find and talk to to buy the items I need? Thanks i'm super excited to get started!!!

Let me google that for you

I also suggest a local dive center. The one with whom your are taking your training may offer discount for students. But if they do not have a retail store, I noted 5 dive shops in the CIncinnatti area when I simply googled dive gear in Cincinnatti. Have a great time in your certification class.
DivemasterDennis

Most of the items you want depend heavily on how they fit so it would be better to get them from your LDS. Most shops will provide you with the rest of the gear needed to take the course. Take the opportunity to try as many different brands and types of equipment provided during your training to get an idea of what you want to purchase next.

Where are you taking your classes? They should be able to set you up with the basics. Do not buy a mask online - especially if you have to dive in the cold Cincinnati area for checkout dives - you really want that to fit without leaking. Most shops should be able to hook you up with the basics or provide free/rental gear for use during your clasess also. I'd also buy boots/gloves appropriate to the water conditions where you plan to dive in the future. For most people, a snorkel is something that rides along in their gear bag after certification and they make a lot of good ones for under $20. Fins are pretty subjective also.

I wouldn't buy more than the basic gear till your certified though since occasionally people fail, decide it's not for them, or have unknown medical complications. Once you've wet your gear, your dealer can't take it back as new. Also there's generally a pretty good mark-up on gear so even if they'll take it back used, that will cost you.

Another option once certified is to talk to other divers where you plan to be diving and find out why/what they use. Gear appropriate for your area is very different than gear appropriate for the Caribbean which is often referred to as travel gear, typically it's lighter weight with less lift. Some gear is suitable for both environments also.

In your area, I like the looks of this place. Central Coast Dive Center - Scuba diving in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky - they certainly seem to have the gear, indoor heated pool and other things necessary. And sell some of the better known brands at all price points. Later when you want to look at other options, I've bought from
Scuba Equipment, Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment Wetsuits - Scubatoys
Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com
Scuba Gear - Snorkeling Equipment - Largest Scuba Diving Equipment Selection - Divers Supply without incident.

Also ask about anything specific here - someone has used it, possibly even reviewed it in our gear forums. Specific questions can also be directed to the appropriate manufacturer's forum - for the larger brands they have people best suited to answer them posting here, for the smaller brands you're often dealing with the owner.

Most of the items you want depend heavily on how they fit
Hit the nail on the head! If the gear your buying needs to fit, it would be wise to make sure it fits before purchasing.

Normally courses are taken through a local dive shop and they will be able to sell you the basics, you shouldn't have to get your own gloves.
My LDS gave us rental gloves for our open water dives... of course they were 7mm gloves. Trying to handle anything with 7mm gloves on our first dives was a pain to say the least. A good learning experience I'm sure, but I'm much happier now having my own 3mm 5-finger gloves.

Are there dealers on the forums here I can find and talk to to buy the items I need?
As a Scubaboard Business Sponsor, we do offer special deals to SB members on gear. However, it is best if you have a good ideal of specifically what you need; make & model.

I got to my local dive shop. They have ScubaPro and SEAC mask. I tried on a bunch and found that the ScubaPro fits well but they were out of stock on most items. I wanted to try on Mares fins that I heard so much about but they only had ScubaPro fins. The lack of selection is frustrating when you have online shops. I picked out these items.

hu0HtNo.png

Thoughts on items?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom