30 days until I start my first class, where can I get gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like it will all work fine. I have a pair of those SP Delta boots somewhere also.

I got to my local dive shop. They have ScubaPro and SEAC mask. I tried on a bunch and found that the ScubaPro fits well but they were out of stock on most items. I wanted to try on Mares fins that I heard so much about but they only had ScubaPro fins. The lack of selection is frustrating when you have online shops. I picked out these items.

hu0HtNo.png

Thoughts on items?
The Mares fins were state of the art years ago and are still good fins, but I would recommend the Seawing Novas. The Novas offer the latest technology. They are lightweight & durable. The heavy duty marine grade bungee strap is excellent.

Stay away from the Sea wing nova fins. The Avanti Quattro are some of the best find on the market excluding jet fin style fins. They're probably the best for travel and second best for sidemount. Novas are gimmicky and expensive garbage

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 10:33 AM ----------

One more thing to mention: get the cheapest snorkel you can. RARELY do people use snorkels anyway, and most eventually agree that the boring old j tube snorkel is as good as it gets.

I got to my local dive shop. They have ScubaPro and SEAC mask. I tried on a bunch and found that the ScubaPro fits well but they were out of stock on most items. I wanted to try on Mares fins that I heard so much about but they only had ScubaPro fins. The lack of selection is frustrating when you have online shops. I picked out these items.

hu0HtNo.png

Thoughts on items?

Looks good to me. I had a pair of Avanti Quattros for a long time, they were great fins, dive Dive Rite XTs now. My son still dives his Quattros and loves them. LeisurePro has black ones for $90, other colors cost $5 more. You might want to buy the mask in black so you don't feel you have to replace it later. I never dive a snorkel, get something simple and inexpensive.

Should you ever find yourself at Tiger Beach, they won't want you wearing white fins. Looks too much like fish underbellies.
You don't want Emma too interested in your foot...right? :D
https://www.facebook.com/EmmaTheShark

On the flipside, if you take up photography, they're useful for on the go white balancing.

I've had black masks and clear masks. Now I prefer clear, there's less "tunnel vision" - you can see blurry objects in your peripheral vision.
Clear silicon does turn light brown over time.

My issue with clear masks is that on bright days, I can see the reflection of my eye ball. REALLY weird. As for discoloration, I've got a clear skirted mask that's over a decade old (13 years?) and is just slightly discolored.

Based on your location I would also go ahead and pick up a hood. They are inexpensive and if you planning on doing any diving (checkout dives) in the colder water of Ohio a hood is a cheap accessory that will help prevent headaches and numbing.

Back
Top Bottom