300 Meter Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shotthebreeze

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

I'm finally getting my PADI certification this weekend (hopefully). I was wondering how they work the 300 meter snorkel? Do you just swim your normal laps, because I have heard of some instructors making students swim the parimeter? And how do they prefer the turn around if you are snorkeling the normal laps? I'm so pumped to finally get to be doing this. Thanks in advance for your help! :jump013:

Wow, imagine the CO2 build-up in that! (Not to even mention clearing a 300m long snorkle.)

:)

But seriously folks, most instructors are pretty relaxed about this. Probably just swim laps. The benefits of doing the perimeter is that there is less time/energy spent completely reversing direction.

In the end, it's not timed so don't kill yourself. (Now the 800m swim for DM was a different story!)

shotthebreeze:
Hey guys,

I'm finally getting my PADI certification this weekend (hopefully). I was wondering how they work the 300 meter snorkel? Do you just swim your normal laps, because I have heard of some instructors making students swim the parimeter? And how do they prefer the turn around if you are snorkeling the normal laps? I'm so pumped to finally get to be doing this. Thanks in advance for your help! :jump013:

you have to do either a 200 yard swim(no swim aids) or a 300 yds mask/fin snorkel swim..no perimeter,turn around anyway you like,non stop.its to show your instructor what your watermanship level is.a 200 yd swim is not asking too much for someone who can comfortably swim.

oly5050user:
you have to do either a 200 yard swim(no swim aids) or a 300 yds mask/fin snorkel swim..no perimeter,turn around anyway you like,non stop.its to show your instructor what your watermanship level is.a 200 yd swim is not asking too much for someone who can comfortably swim.

How would you reccomend turning around?

RJP:
Wow, imagine the CO2 build-up in that! (Not to even mention clearing a 300m long snorkle.)

:)

I'm not worried about the CO2 or clearing it, I'm worried that the 31 atmosphere pressure difference is going to suck my innards up through it! :)

But seriously, enjoy diving, it's a lot of fun!

Craig

It is entirely up to the instructor as to how he has you do this exercise. Just follow directions and relax, it is not that hard and there is no time limit.

shotthebreeze:
How would you reccomend turning around?
I would do flip turns. However, touch the wall, turn around and look at the other end, and push off with your feet keeping your arms in front of your head to break through the water.

In my class you were not allowed to touch the pool wall at all. I suspect it's the same for the snorkel and fins bit. My instructor said, you touch the wall you fail. I'm not sure it's Padi's official line, but to push off is cheating in my book. I can cover 20 feet on a good push, what kind of challenge is that? I think the goal is to prove you can swim 200m to get back to shore or the boat, there's no walls out there you know and thus why I think my instructor would not allow it.

cummings66:
In my class you were not allowed to touch the pool wall at all. I suspect it's the same for the snorkel and fins bit. My instructor said, you touch the wall you fail. I'm not sure it's Padi's official line, but to push off is cheating in my book. I can cover 20 feet on a good push, what kind of challenge is that? I think the goal is to prove you can swim 200m to get back to shore or the boat, there's no walls out there you know and thus why I think my instructor would not allow it.

That's what I thought. But then the question still remains as how to turn around.

300m snorkel is actually the 200m swim for people that cant swim.

However swim or snorkel you shouldn't be allowed to use the sides for a push off and shouldn't be allowed to stop or touch the floor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom