300 Meter Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CO2 buildup is a non issue with good technique. Swimming with a halfway aggressive flutter kick you should be doing the 25m pool length in 10-12 breaths. These are long deep methodical breaths that will clear the CO2 from your lungs and set you up for a nice scuba breathing pattern.

For the turn I touch the wall with one hand while twisting my body and making what's almost like a portion of a helicopter turn, with a little wrist action off the wall it happens fast, then just start kicking again. Just get in the pool and play around in a lane. If you are sharing the pool with lap swimmers be sure to tuck in tight on the turn to stay in your lane.

You can try a duck under breath hold turn but timing your breath and lung comfort is a little tricky. I never had much luck pushing off with fins.

You should truly feel like you can do the snorkel swim indefinitely.

Pete

Not being able to touch or push off the wall in order to show swimming ability is simply ridiculous. I stand amazed at the instructors that have put their "personal touch" on what is already a comical requirement to demonstrate water proficiency. In fact, if I have someone who contacts the wall by using their feet to push off and execute a proper flip turn, that tells me quite a bit about their "swimming ability". What would be nice is if more instructors knew a bit more about swimming/snorkeling proficiency and how to measure this and then use this knowledge to improve the open water course.
However, good luck in determining how you are going to keep from utilizing the side of the pool!

On my swim we did it in the pool and the pool was only 25 feet long so we had to do like 15 laps. Well if you pused off from the wall you could get to the other wall without even swimming lol. I just did that and I don't think I swam at all :)

spectrum:
CO2 buildup is a non issue with good technique.
I suspect the CO2 comment was a joke interepting the subject as being about a 300m long snorkle, not a 300m swim with snorkle.

If you try to push off the wall with your fins, you might find that there is so much suction between the pool wall and the fins that the push off comes to a sudden stop. Coast into the wall, turn around and just swim away.

freediver:
Not being able to touch or push off the wall in order to show swimming ability is simply ridiculous. I stand amazed at the instructors that have put their "personal touch" on what is already a comical requirement to demonstrate water proficiency. In fact, if I have someone who contacts the wall by using their feet to push off and execute a proper flip turn, that tells me quite a bit about their "swimming ability". What would be nice is if more instructors knew a bit more about swimming/snorkeling proficiency and how to measure this and then use this knowledge to improve the open water course.
However, good luck in determining how you are going to keep from utilizing the side of the pool!

In the sea you have to swim that distance without a wall to push off. You dive in the sea so the test should be geared to ensuring they can swim that distance in the sea.
We arent talking about proper flip turns here, just about everyone ive seen does some sort of turn around then push against a wall, even people who can barely swim. In smaller pools this is good for 1/3 the entire length of the pool so they spend 1/3 of the actual swim test not swimming.

If the sea contained obstacles every 25m to push off to get somewhere id have no issue allowing it. I haven't found one yet that does though.

I have my students swim laps around the pool's perimeter (small pool) as it allows more students in the water. Since I can get this done more quickly, it leaves more time for the other important stuff that is actually related to scuba diving.

Did mine in the sea. Can't remember how we figured out the distance though...

"You touch the wall, you fail" sounds a bit officious for a PADI course. Did the instructor by any chance have a pencil moustache and a clipboard with a row of pens clipped into his top pocket?

String:
In the sea you have to swim that distance without a wall to push off. You dive in the sea so the test should be geared to ensuring they can swim that distance in the sea.
Then why not just perform your watermanship evaluation in open water?

String:
We arent talking about proper flip turns here, just about everyone ive seen does some sort of turn around then push against a wall, even people who can barely swim. In smaller pools this is good for 1/3 the entire length of the pool so they spend 1/3 of the actual swim test not swimming.
My point with the flip turn is if they can perform it mechanically correct then they have likely had some advanced swim training, therefore, the swim/snorkel isn't going to be a concern for them. Personally speaking, I think any pool less than a 25 yard length should not be allowed for the evaluation. Again, why not perform in open water?Just curious but what exactly do you look for when a participant is doing the swim/snorkel?

String:
If the sea contained obstacles every 25m to push off to get somewhere id have no issue allowing it. I haven't found one yet that does though.
:D That's good!
I think that a requirement of having the swim be sustained is far more important than allowing a push off.

freediver:
Then why not just perform your watermanship evaluation in open water?

because not everyone is always that close to open water
because its more money to go out to open water then a pool
because theres more liability on the instructor at watching a bunch of new students who he knows little about their swimming experience..

:)

Back
Top Bottom