$3000 airfare to Coz!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Btw, I still think this is sort of American glitch unless they are planning to cancel route. Labor Day You can travel to Denver to Cozumel on United for 540, fly into Cancun on American for 500. American also has grand cayman for 600 I think. I don’t think anyone considers Cozumel a 5x premium destination to Grand Cayman. If there was some grand plan to massive spike prices over Labor Day weekend Grand Cayman would be just as high as Cozumel.

I guess slim chance of pricing high if they are 90 percent sure they will cancel CZM flight unless they get some takers at that obscene price. Not sure about American , but United planes to CZM still running at very low load factor. Think there were 24 people on plane yesterday, though they said next week better with start of spring break in Texas

Jeez $3000,,,Who are the pilots?
John Travolta & Elton John and you get a free concert from the cockpit plus a sack of peanuts so big it breaks the seat back table !!

I got 1st tickets for the week prior to Memorial Day weekend for roughly $1k each from cvg. Now coach tickets for the exact flight are $3200. 1st class are $4k with coach on return due to sold out seats in 1st.

This is certainly a screwy deal.

Ok, it is possible, altho risky with these connections. I hope the ground agents would check you and bags thru from origin to destination both ways.
View attachment 647031

View attachment 647032
I wondered if one could just book those flights on one ticket using the Multi-City tab, but I got "Something went wrong
You can't book connecting flights as individual flight segments. Please change your flight search. Contact technical support"

I got 1st tickets for the week prior to Memorial Day weekend for roughly $1k each from cvg. Now coach tickets for the exact flight are $3200. 1st class are $4k with coach on return due to sold out seats in 1st.
There are flights for less...
upload_2021-3-12_12-46-33.png

upload_2021-3-12_12-47-9.png

Sometimes insanely high prices are a way of saying "not for sale". Last August, Hotel Barracuda was showing rooms for $12,000 per night.

Sometimes insanely high prices are a way of saying "not for sale". Last August, Hotel Barracuda was showing rooms for $12,000 per night.
I think that was the night they had some famous techno DJ performing

I am currently on hold for United Airlines. Wait time is estimated at "more than 2 hours". I think I will try again later.

There is definitely a lot of travel-related churn currently taking place that's driven by new optimism, among other things (expecting to receive a $1400 check might also contribute to that a little...not that I will be getting one).

Another factor that I am sure is messing with everyone: many airlines are re-doing their flight schedules with massive numbers of flights being "cancelled" and then some (not all) get rescheduled on different days. If you are booking more than a few weeks ahead, expect things to shift (maybe multiple times) as airlines toss their schedules up in the air and pick up the pieces to reassemble them frequently.

As an example, I had booked a trip to Europe in September -- I was figuring that would be around when things started to open up for something like "normal" tourism, if all goes well. I had two connections that looked safe (2-4 hours each). One connection changed to just 5 minutes, the next day the other connection changed to negative 7 hours. It seems the airlines are just shuffling all their cards, very frequently. That whole itinerary is now out the window.

Bottom line: these are not "normal times", and won't be for quite a while. Don't be shocked if you book flights and later find that things have changed. Once booked, do not assume all is well and you just have to pack and head for the airport: keep checking your flights regularly, because some of them may do strange things.

I call BS. Please don't tell me they aren't essential. They received a bailout, and kept flying routes to keep their slots and cargo. Is gasoline really more essential than airlines? Ride your goat to the grocery store.

I escaped from Denver Friday on Southwest as planned. When I checked the pricing for that flight Friday morning, the going rate one way was $522. Call it roughly 400% over my scheduled fare.

Seated next to a wonderful lady who was more than happy to have paid $522 to leave Denver. She wasn't going to be able to meet with her Realtor to look at houses for the next couple of days.

Southwest was happy, she was happy to miss the blizzard and there wasn't an empty seat on the flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom