300m dives achieved with what ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remy B.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After reading the post from Sir. Akimbo about those dives down to 300m, I got curious of which regulators had been used to achieve those extreme depths.

I can see that the 332m record from Gabor in Egypt was done with Apeks regulators, what other brands were used in previous records ?

Which regulators were used in the last attempt to break that record that ended in tragedy ?

who cares? chasing depth records is absolutely insane in my opinion. You want to go to 300m? get in a submarine or an atmosphere suit. Those depths are ridiculous for people to go down to on open circuit.

Abr used all scubapros IIRC s600's
Nuno used Poseidon Jetstreams

Apeks have to be unsealed to go that deep since the overcompensation will cause freeflows.

who cares? chasing depth records is absolutely insane in my opinion. You want to go to 300m? get in a submarine or an atmosphere suit. Those depths are ridiculous for people to go down to on open circuit.

Off-topic

Apeks have to be unsealed to go that deep since the overcompensation will cause freeflows.

All I can see in Gabor pictures are DS4 and I believe what are Tek-3, to my understanding those are sealed regulators

I got curious of which regulators had been used to achieve those extreme depths.

He used a US Divers (now Aqua Lung) Calypso. This is a page from the 1961 US Divers Catalog:

full.jpg

Edit: BTW: I have one. It was a GREAT regulator in the day but is horrible by today's standards.

chasing depth records is absolutely insane in my opinion.

I totally agree, but this wasn't about setting depth records at all. It was all about proving humans could make dives anywhere near that deep for military and commercial purposes... and getting the funding for more research. I could be wrong but I don't think that Keller ever had any thought of starting a commercial diving company.

Last edited:
@Remy B. how is it off topic to ask why you are asking this question and to what end?

The ds4 and tek3 are the same regulator and if the seals were removed, there is no guarantee that they swapped the IP screw to the US4 caps

@Remy B. how is it off topic to ask why you are asking this question and to what end?

The ds4 and tek3 are the same regulator and if the seals were removed, there is no guarantee that they swapped the IP screw to the US4 caps

I asked about regulator brands, just curiosity.

It seems to me that you took it about what regulator I need to go to 300m or what are the best regulators to brake records, that is Off-topic, I have set my limit to 70m deeper than that it doesn't make much sense to me.

I asked about regulator brands, just curiosity.

It seems to me that you took it about what regulator I need to go to 300m or what are the best regulators to brake records, that is Off-topic, I have set my limit to 70m deeper than that it doesn't make much sense to me.

fair enough, and this isn't combative, but what are you hoping to achieve out of this? satisfy morbid curiosity, or use it to make an informed decision about a reg purchase? unfortunately for the second, what brands they used may not actually matter since they may well have been sponsored. In that case it doesn't mean that equipment was best, it was just free and/or available to them. Curiosity is about all you'll be able to satisfy out of the answers

fwiw Apeks and Poseidon certify their regulators to 200m and have had them approved by CE to that depth. Scubapro limits to 50m, not to say they can't go deeper since they obviously have.

Poseidon is also generally regarded as the king of deep open circuit diving due to how much air the thing flows. Scubapro can get about 1800lpm, Poseidon gets over 2100 with a lower work of breathing at depth.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom