30mm e-mount macro pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfowles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased the 30mm macro for the nex-5 and the nauticam port. So far I am enjoying the lens. While it is not the best lens for macro it is a very good for closeups. The autofocus can be a bit slow at times, but this can be common with macro lenses.

Here are some photos from Blairgowrie marina in Melbourne Australia (an awesome temperate muck diving site)

shorttail-nudi by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

grass-clingfish by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

flabellina_sp by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

More photos using the macro lens:
painted-dragonet
polycera-hedgpethi
fliddler-ray
2-clingfish-and-eggs

How do you spot those cling fish??

Hi Terry

I was looking for wide body pipefish when I found them. I noticed a bump on one of the blades of grass and took a closer look. After I found the first one I started noticing a lot more of them. I am guessing they are breading at the moment as I noticed a lot of them had eggs. If you want to find them look in the sea grass under the boats in the marina. That area is also a good spot for stingrays and banjo sharks but is quite silty.

Nice shots, Byron. I really enjoyed your photos at Flickr.

Byron
Are you coming to the club night? Be good to catch up soon lie to see your set up again and talk diopters

PHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-00221.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-00323.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-00355.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-00556.jpg

All images with the Sont NEX-7 and Sony 30mm macro at ISO-100, 1/160th, at F/10 to F/22. Nauticam NA-NEX7 housing with macro port and 45 degree Nauticam viewfinder.

This is what I had to say about the Sony 30mm macro in a review on mirrorless lenses for UWPMAG.com issue #65.

The Sony E 30mm F/3.5-F/22 macro lens for the Sony Alpha NEX mount cameras was announced in mid-2011 as an entry level lens with excellent image quality for its price point of $250US, £189UK. A less robust feeling lens it never the less has many of the features of a quality macro lens like full 1:1 max reproduction ratio at a minimum focus distance of 9.5 cm (3.75 inches). This lens is smooth and quite for both still and video use. The angle of view on the Sony APS-C sensor is around 50 degrees equivalent to a 45mm lens on a 35mm sensor. I have found the lens to auto focus quite well on the NEX-5 and 5n cameras until you get to very close range. Since the lens is at around one to two inches from the subject at the 1:1.5 to 1:1 range holding the camera steady can be a bit of a challenge. It can also be difficult to light a subject so close to the port glass and use of a close-up lens is a waist of time because the subject would need to be pressed up against the glass to get any focus at all. For me the lens shines more when shot from about 1:2 at 8cm or so (three inches) out to around 45cm (18 inches). In this range you can fit a wide verity of subject sizes into the 50 degree AOV of this lens with stellar image quality for such an inexpensive lens.

Phil Rudin

Hello

I use the Sony E 30mm Macro for most dives here in Switzerland in fresh water with my NEX-5N. At the moment this lens is the best choice for me for the fresh water divings. Under the follow link you can find some pictures: Süsswasser 2012 - a set on Flickr (some are from the 16mm with fisheye-converter)

I also use the 30mm Macro on my last trip to Indonesia:
Trip Report Indonesia 2012

I hope that in the future a macro lens in the range between 50-100mm is coming for the Sony NEX-System.

Tino

Back
Top Bottom