32% Dive plan examples by Hand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SentinelAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My instructor wants me to learn how to do dive tables by hand instead of just my computer which makes sense. For example: I have 3 dives. My mix is 33% . (side mount 80s). I have a deco bottle (40cuft) I need to calculate my max bottom time on all 3 dives, SAC, ATA, PO2. The computer just does it for me. I missed a couple classes where we did the math. Any advice on dive planning? I have to draw these up

Not nearly enough information to hazard a guess. Depth, time? What's in the deco bottle? Are you using tables or dive planning software? Which ones? These calculations should have been covered in a basic Nitrox class.

Last edited:
This is for Advanced Nitrox. I need to be able to do the dives by hand. Deco is a 40 with 50%. I need to be able to calculate what percentage of gas, cubic feet used, and deco stops.

You still can't begin to calculate gas used, deco stops, OTU, and whatever else until you specify how deep and for how long your dives are.

No.

Your instructor should be teaching you this. That is what you are paying them for. Not asking the internet to do your homework for you. Some people understand math better and it is easier, others struggle more. YOU have to learn this.

Now if you pencil a dive together and want to reviewed, that is when you should ask here. We can review your homework, but we are not going to do it for you.

I'm pretty sure your instructor is wanting you to use a set of dive tables and to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of your personal SAC rate, as well as not just the math, but the theory and physics behind decompression and using higher mixes of oxygen for deco. Having a solid understanding of these is absolutely critical before moving on to any technical diving, so that you can safely plan dives, and prepare for contingencies. As such, I don't think you'll find very many people willing to help you shortcut the hard work, as all we would be doing is putting you in danger in the future. As was stated before, if you come up with a plan and need it looked over, I'm sure many people would be glad to double check your work.

I'm pretty sure your instructor is wanting you to use a set of dive tables and to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of your personal SAC rate, as well as not just the math, but the theory and physics behind decompression and using higher mixes of oxygen for deco. Having a solid understanding of these is absolutely critical before moving on to any technical diving, so that you can safely plan dives, and prepare for contingencies. As such, I don't think you'll find very many people willing to help you shortcut the hard work, as all we would be doing is putting you in danger in the future. As was stated before, if you come up with a plan and need it looked over, I'm sure many people would be glad to double check your work.
Are there "deco tables"?

I know nothing about deco diving but fully understand non deco tables. My impression was that computer programs (at least fancy spreadsheets) were routinely used for deco dive planning. Is it normal to teach / use totally manual planning and calculation of deco dives?

My impression is that the added complexity of various gas mixes, depths and deco obligations would make manual calculation very error prone.

Thoughts / opinions? (I am just trying to learn a very little bit about stuff I will never use...)

Back
Top Bottom