32% Dive plan examples by Hand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there "deco tables"?

I know nothing about deco diving but fully understand non deco tables. My impression was that computer programs (at least fancy spreadsheets) were routinely used for deco dive planning. Is it normal to teach / use totally manual planning and calculation of deco dives?

IANTD Open Circuit Flexible Dive Tables | Dive Gear Express®. I don't see any point in using them, though, as compared to something like MultiDeco.

The OP never said he was doing the decompression procedures course. He just stated he was taking Advanced Nitrox. This is a fundamental course to fully grasp to move on to decompression dives. The OP needs to fully know their SAC rate to calculate consumption rates at various depths so that they may have enough breathing mixes and reserve at the conclusion of the dive. The OP needs to understand PPO2 and ATA's to understand their risk for Oxtox and Equivalent air depths. There are decompression tables, but as rongoodman said they aren't used compared to MultiDeco or V-planner. It is very normal to use a planning software to make the a decompression schedule, but it can't do everything. Let's use a cave dive. I need to know how long it will take me to swim a known distance at a certain depth and I need to be able to figure out how much gas I'll breath at each leg of the dive. At the very end of the planning I'll need to come up with numbers of cubic feet I'll need for deco gas, bottom gas, and stage bottles. I, personally, always double check the math on my dive planners. Computers can make errors.

No.

Your instructor should be teaching you this. That is what you are paying them for. Not asking the internet to do your homework for you. Some people understand math better and it is easier, others struggle more. YOU have to learn this.

Now if you pencil a dive together and want to reviewed, that is when you should ask here. We can review your homework, but we are not going to do it for you.

I'm not looking for answers. I am looking for examples so I can calculate my own dive plans based on examples.

I'm not looking for answers. I am looking for examples so I can calculate my own dive plans based on examples.

Shouldn't your instructor be helping with that?

Didn’t realize you were deco diving

Last edited:
My instructor wants me to learn how to do dive tables by hand instead of just my computer which makes sense. For example: I have 3 dives. My mix is 33% . (side mount 80s). I have a deco bottle (40cuft) I need to calculate my max bottom time on all 3 dives, SAC, ATA, PO2. The computer just does it for me. I missed a couple classes where we did the math. Any advice on dive planning? I have to draw these up

If you were using 100% O2 for deco, you could combine use of the US Navy Air Deco tables with an Equivalent Air Depth table (for your EAN33) to work out a deco schedule for whatever depth and time you want to do. Then you would have to trial-and-error calculate gas consumption to zero in on the max bottom time you could get out of a given size set of tanks. We did more-or-less that when I took AN/DP. Before we moved on to using modern tools (aka Multi-Deco) and learning how to actually do it IRL.

But, off the top of my head, I don't know of any table-based deco schedules that give a schedule for using just EAN50 as deco gas.

But, off the top of my head, I don't know of any table-based deco schedules that give a schedule for using just EAN50 as deco gas.
IANTD does or at least 20yrs ago.
DGX still sell them , check post #11.

Back
Top Bottom