33 Of The Best Diving Sites In The World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're such a ****!~ You know what I mean...there is a big difference between California Pacific and Indo-Pacific!
i love it when i get the reaction i am after.. :D

Galapagos, Cocos.. both in my top 5.. pacific, not Indo/Pac :mooner:

Places I've been
Cozumel : yay for the incredible visibility. It's great for novice divers, but there's more to be seen elsewhere. IMO.

SS Thistlegorm, Egyptian Red Sea : a really fun wreck dive. Big Napoleon fish in the Captain's cabin! Live ammo! Lots of cuttlefish during the night dive...

Shark & Yolanda Reef, Egyptian Red Sea : a lot fun, but I've seen better sites in Egypt. Our liveaboard cruise included these and the SS Thistlegorm.

Blue Hole, Egyptian Red Sea : horrible. Overcrowded and in a really bad shape (november 2005). At the surface we clashed with two divers who were seen "riding" a turtle while their friend took pictures. This dive does not belong in that list.

I've heard good comments on some of the sites in that list, especially Yongala Wreck.

Two sites that should be on that list : the kelp forest in Monterey Bay and Verde Island (Philippines). I didn't dive much in California, though :(

I've been to about 1/2 but never to Thailand or the Red Sea. Most sound pretty reasonable to be in a "top 33" list.

However, as a photographer, I think the accompanying photos leave a lot to be desired. Even the good ones have issues. The photo of Jillian Morris with the green moray by Walt Stearns (Underwater Journal) was from a magazine photo shoot in Ft. Lauderdale or Pompano, Florida -- not Fiji.

I suspect most or all of the photos in that article were pulled from internet without a request for permission... The Kona Manta Ray dive video was mine, I'd put it on Brightcove.com and my blog.... try not to citicize the quality, I'd only taken the video camera underwater twice as it was an experiment). I was e-mailed today that this article existed and when I read it I was surprised to see my video as an example.

Later,

Only been to two area's on the list,

Cozumel, which were my first dives after certs and thought it was nice though it was after the hurricane so it was probably wasn't as good as it's been or is now. Going back in a few weeks so I should have a better opinion when I get back.

The Red Sea, I didn't hit the sites listed but in the three days I was there we dove the following,

Temple We did our first dive here, not too much to see but it was more of a lets see what the divers skill levels are.

Gordon Reef Loads of Corals, don't remember too many fish but lots of fans and gorgonias.

Jackson Reef My favorite of all the sites. The coral is so abundant, thousands of anthias, some anemones, blue spotted rays, morays, Napoleon Wrasse, Travalies, the place was loaded with stuff to see. Took about 200 pics on that dive.

Laguna Reef Similar to Jackson but not as abundant. Loads of corals

Woodhouse Reef More coral, not too much in the way of sea life

Ras Umm Sid Another great dive, schools of glass fish, some morays, barracudas, great coral formations.

Considering it was my second diving excursion, I loved it. If you love corals, you will be in heaven as its so abundant and alive. I was hoping for some sharks but they don't really hang around those sites. Maybe you'll catch some by Jackson in the morning but we didn't.

Not one Philippine site listed?

All these places are GREAT but take a look at the coast of North Carolina . I have been to a few different location diving . N.C. great wreck diving.

Anywhere in Wreck Valley suits me fine. Frequent flyer miles do not apply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom