33ah Gavin modern review?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ha, ha, ha, ha

it's 105lbs, you're going to murder your back trying to carry that sucker to the beach. Piranha P1 will get you there and back and is only 25lbs. It's not cheap, but if you are worried about your back a Gavin isn't the answer. The 33 is the only one that will reliably get you there and back at any sort of speed, but it's way too heavy for shore diving

Aaaah. Loud and clear. Thanks. No wonder the lithium scooters are described as light! I'll need to decide to powder my fused vertebrae or sell a kidney.

Reliability and something with enough pull to handle current would be desirable.

Cameron

the gavin's are not something I would consider "powerful" they're stupid simple, but they are anything but powerful. Some of the caves are strong enough to blow them backwards on a regular basis. I.e. they are not capable of pulling a diver through the lips in Ginnie basically ever *except right now since the lips are about to start sucking*, and in JB they are barely able to make headway in some parts when the flow is up high.

Based on your location, I'd try to find a Dive X of some sort. Some of the older NiMH scooters should be sufficient and fairly cheap

Patience is your friend. There is a somewhat steady flow of scooters out there for reasonable pricing.

The trick is to find one in great shape that delivers usable thrust and wont ruin your back and can also easily have a lithium battery put in it to increase run time but not burn out the motor all while keeping the price way under the cost of a newer factory refurbished unit. Spend some time thinking over that last part. :wink:

You are not carrying it a mile are you? If you are any scooter would be a pain in the neck to carry. If you meant diving a site a mile of shore, a Gavin would work great. FYI Batteries are cheap and they have one of the longest track records for scooters right now.

You are not carrying it a mile are you? If you are any scooter would be a pain in the neck to carry. If you meant diving a site a mile of shore, a Gavin would work great. FYI Batteries are cheap and they have one of the longest track records for scooters right now.

they're also slow, uncomfortable due to the handle, not particularly maneuverable due to the handle and size, and if he's concerned about his back, it's over 100lbs with no easy way to carry it. They are most definitely considered obsolete and not really used in technical diving anymore. Their only real redeeming quality is how cheap they are on the used market

Gavin scooters are ridiculously heavy. My buddy has one, although he has migrated to a Suex. Told him to wait for me so WE can lift the thing, when we need to carry it. Even if cost is a concern, don't buy a Gavin. My Submerge Viper has max speed higher than the Gavin scooters, as do all modern scooters (Suex, DiveXtra, Bonex, Logic Dive Gear, Submerge).

I understand that the additional mass makes them comfortable to drive but I have yet to hear any complaints from buddies that have DiveXtra, Suex or Logic Dive Gear. At max speed, I don't really mind the torque to my wrist/arm but the additional pressure from the crotch strap does make me sing....

Thank you all for saving my back.

Since I have a thread going... if I double my budget it puts me in the range of a buddy's buddy's silent submersion scooter. A step in the right direction at 70lbs if it's the UV-18? A significantly lighter rig isn't materializing semi locally (driving distances within Canada. Eg. 800 miles) and I'm intending secure one in time to bring it down to cozumel for the winter. ..Might make DEMA though so that opens up options!

My rebreather is at 65lbs loaded and provided I get a standing start I can handle getting it into the water so far.

Hmm. And I wonder why I love freediving so much and yet keep getting more and more kit. :D

Cheers,
Cameron

Attachments

• received_10214224497786336.jpeg
    received_10214224497786336.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 126
uv18's are going for like $1200usd right now, so that's like a million loonies. You definitely want to avoid flying with a uv18 though so may want to look harder for a Dive X that is NiMH.

What is your budget? I know of a few cuda furies for sale in California

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom