35ish dives in, started to panic, had to abort - still causes some concern

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back when I wanted to lower my gas consumption rate, I used to do this: One very deep and slow diaphragmatic inhalation then a fairly fast exhale. I followed that with about five really, really shallow breath cycles to keep me from feeling air starved. I would then repeat the procedure.

Now, I just breathe :)

Back when I wanted to lower my gas consumption rate, I used to do this: One very deep and slow diaphragmatic inhalation then a fairly fast exhale. I followed that with about five really, really shallow breath cycles to keep me from feeling air starved. I would then repeat the procedure.

Now, I just breathe :)

You're not recommending this though.

No, not really. But if one can do this, then one knows that he/she is all calmed back down.

Try it U/W on OC sometime, just don't fall asleep...

No. :)

Long, slow and steady, yoga type breathing wins the race. The exhales must be completed and then followed by a long slow inhale. And repeat.
Now, try to stay awake. :p

OP, as others have stated, I think you handled the situation just fine. The only thing I would change is the safety stop you conducted before hitting the surface. While typically it is never bad to do a safety stop, if you are uncomfortable/in distress and aborting the dive from recreational depths and time limits then the safety stop can be omitted as it not a requirement but only a suggestion for recreational diving....even more so if ascending from the depths you were at, as you stated you were not yet AOW certified which one could infer that on a guided dive you were more than likely above 20 meters depth.

Don't get me wrong, doing the safety stop in general is better in all cases, but if you feel you need to be at the surface there is no reason you have to stop for a non-mandatory safety stop on your way there.

Good job on handling the situation and being aware of yourself...you now have experience you can reflect on and apply to your diving in the future, and by doing so you become a better diver, at least in my opinion.

-Z

I had a couple of hard-to-breathe-through regulators before I bought my own. Definitely weighed down on every moment of the dive - if you cannot breathe right, it's all fubar, so, think about getting your own. In terms of fitness (and often consequently, air consumption) I think it's important to know your limits and not overexert; don't try to swim faster than you're comfortably able, etc. Impressive awareness however in your story; a valuable learning experience.

A little bit Off-Topic: We actually have a word for that, it's "Essoufflement", i wonder if there is an english translation for that?

Google Translate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom