$375 for a New 1 Mix Cochran Commander Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Voy77

Registered
Reaction score
I hate to ask for comparison prices, but does $375 for a New 1 Mix Cochran Commander Nitrox sound about right?

None of my local LDS's are dealers, so I am kinda left to web surf around - and Cochrans are far and few between online. Apparantly Cochran doesnt allow them to be sold online :)

Anyway, $375? More? Less?

One of the reason there are so few cochrans around is that many dealer stopped carrying them after they continually failed or had to be returned buy their owners.

Consider waiting and buy the New Suunto Vytec which is now being shipped to dealers this week.

Please don't be offended by my post, I am not trying to criticize your choice. Just be aware that cochran has a VERY bad history with a lot of people.

Our LDS had a 70% failure rate with the early Commander and Commander Nitrox about 4 years ago including shut downs during Deco stops.

Caveat Emptor

:eek:

Hmm.... have they been able to correct any of those problems recently? The Vytecs are nice, especially with Cochrans bad rap..... but have they fixed their bad rap, or is it merely a continual problem that hasnt been fixed satisfactorily yet?

MMmmm Air Integrated Vytec *drools*

lol seriously though.... I know Cochrans have had a bad rap, but have they fixed the problems? If so I wouldnt mind purchasing one, seeing as they have learned from their mistakes, but if not.... then im going to have to reconsider.

Don't know if you are getting a good price or not but as far as Cochran computers go, I and 3 dive buddies have been diving the NemesisII for many years. We have had no problems with them and I would buy one again. I have the computer interface so am able to evaluate every dive which is why I like the AI feature. I happen to be a Cochran fan.

By the way, three of us had other computers before the Cochran and all had major failures. Three different makes and models. So I guess everyone has their own experiences and biases.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not a fan (not hard to tell Eh?). :wink:

If they finally have their S_ _ t together the product certainly has a great layout and design. I also like the detail available in the interface.

However it's hard for me to use a product that caused so much grief in the past , even if the manufacturer claims to have fixed it.

Guess I am going to have to wait a little longer and use my new Vytec which arrives tommorow. ( yes I am bragging ):clapping:

There is a dealer in the Pugets Sound area that does lot's of bussines with Cochran. The Commander is $500 + I believe $50 for the nitrox. I don't think you can get them for much less. I have seen the older models, one of a kind, in smaller dive shop displays. These are usually the discontinued models, and the shops might not of had the rights to start with. I've seen them in Arizona, California and Washington. I've been wanting to call Cochran and find out how much of the improvments are software, that can be upgraded and how much are hardware to just stay away from. I guess I recommend a little more research with Cochran. They've been great for answering questions and they will recomend the good shops. Some shops will give you the nitrox upgrade "free" if you take a nitrox class. That is something they can "bargain" with. I want to buy one but am dealing with the money part also. I spend some time driving over the mountains to dive and return, I like the way Cochran handles that plus the clean simple display.

good luck, don O

The only cochrans I have ever head a problem with are the air integrated variety.. The stand alone computers are indestructable.. The air integrated computers usually fail to owner misuse but not always.. most people I have seen with them just quickly turn on the valve... The absolute worst thing you could do to a transducer.. The proper method for any air intergrated computer is to crack the valve and allow it to slowly come up to pressure..

I use the 2 mix constant po2 version with 550 hours logging about $1800 retail last time I check. I had my unit run over by a car (it fell off my hood of my jeep and didn't notice it right away), and the unit still worked without a hitch.. The computer does have a few annoyances that I don't like but it has the best logging around and is one of thge few computers that can handle constant PO2

I have the Cochran commander 2 gas computer, stand alone not integrated which I would like to sell, ahs only couple dives on it. Nothing wrong with it, like new, but I have two other computers which I use. Anybody interested?

Back
Top Bottom