3D model of the Phoenix and the RAM guts.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that AutoCad 3D can do the job - but Inventor and SolidWorks do it so much easier and better (once you learn the software).

Yeah… yeah… I know it would be a lot easier in SolidWorks, but were would be the challenge in that? :rolleyes:

Think of this as using vintage 3D CAD. :D

Don't know if it would work for you, but might it be possible to model the spring in relaxed state as well as in compressed state and then have the software do some sort of "tweening" between the two?

Henrik

That is kind of what I am thinking that I am going to do.

The springs on these drawings are correct, including the diameter, the wire diameter, the number of coils, and the length (both in the compressed and relaxed length). The earlier 3D model of the springs didn’t have the correct number of coils.

PhoenixRAM3DMOD-IIIRev-1311-29-2-1.jpg

PhoenixRAM3DMOD-IIIRev-1311-29-2009.jpg

This cut-away views also have the spring block cut so you can see the O-ring, back up ring, and the inside of the LP balancing chamber. I may cut a pie section of the springs to show the inside better.

You can clearly see all the air passages (the HP as well as the LP passages). I do need to compress that purple O-ring in the installed position.

PhoenixRAM3DMOD-IIIRev-15cutsect-1.jpg

PhoenixRAM3DMOD-IIIRev-15cutsection.jpg

I hope to do the second stages soon, but I may do a Mistral first. Actually, I also have other projects on the "virtual drawing board"...

I like it - if you are going to do drawings of vintage gear - use vintage software. :D

Even better - why not use velum and ink - now that would be real vintage. :wink::wink:

I have a copy of the US Patent for an early Cousteau/Gagnon Regulator on my wall on work - nice hand drawn diagrams. Those drawings along with an old DA and 72 make for a great conversation starter.

Fantástico!

That's looking great Luis. Making it easier and easier for a rookie like me to see and understand what's going on. Thanks,

Henrik

I am just playing with the drawing…

Now you should be able to see the inside of the balancing LP chamber, the HP chamber, and details like the blue Teflon HP seat (closed against the volcano orifice).
Some of the colors (like on the O-rings) were selected to provide good contrast.

PhoenixRAM3DMOD-IIIRev-16cutsect-2.jpg

PhoenixRAM3DMOD-IIIRev-16cutsect-1.jpg

PhoenixRAM3DMOD-IIIRev-16cutsection.jpg

I need to start working on the rest of my project… :rolleyes:

Nice work Luis. The funny thing for me is I could model that in 3d with full animations in Solidworks and not bat an eye, but put me on Autocad and ask me to do that, and I wouldn't know where to start. I'm told that the college I attended for Mechanical engineering, doesn't even teach Autocad anymore. They start on Solidworks and Inventor in first semester. I'm glad I at least had the benefit of a couple semesters on Autocad, but out in the real world I cringe anytime I have to open an Autocad file!

Bump because I'll need this later.

Very nice work Luis :cool:

One other advantage of Solidworks is that Flow Simulation modules are now available... be very handy for 'what if' airflow investigations to optimise both first and second stages using your 3D model.
Up until recently only available with Dassault Systèmes CATIA V5... Solidworks 'bigger brother'.

SOLIDWORKS® Flow Simulation is an intuitive Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) solution embedded within SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD that enables you to quickly and easily simulate liquid and gas flows through and around your designs to calculate product performance and capabilities.
SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation

Also plastics
Predict and avoid manufacturing defects in plastic part and injection mold designs, eliminating costly rework, improving part quality, and decreasing time to market
SOLIDWORKS Plastics

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom