3D printer problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The vacuum chamber left the orange filament very brittle. It had been in the chamber for about a week. I think I pulled all the volatiles out of it.

The fix for my printer was eliminating a gap behind the nozzle. A friend from HackerSpace Gainesville and I took apart the hot end and found the issue. I have been a printing fiend since then. It feels good to print. It had been hard to pull filament back, hot or cold. Now, it's easy either way. Instead of taking a minute or so to clear a color out, it only takes a second or so. Put in a new spool, and by the time it starts to print, the new color is coming out.

I am trying to use the brittle orange Hatchbox filament this morning. I am printing a case for my RPi 3B+ and will be installing a camera. If it fails, I might just get rid of that spool.

Just an aside, for those interested... I have set the gap between bed and nozzle to be 0.005". I've had one piece break free of the bed, so I might try 0.004" and it's closer to the recommended 0.1mm. I am also printing most PLA at 200C and 0.3mm print height.. I've probably printed 15 items or more since last Tuesday. When it works: IT EFFEN WORKS! I love it! :D :D :D

OK, here was my solution: I reassembled the hot end. I changed the Bowden tube to a Capricorn, adjusted the inner piece, so it was further down and eliminated the pool of molten filament. The change was dramatic and I've been printing like a fiend ever since. I also changed my bed gap from 0.003" to 0.005" and now it's back to 0.004". Of course, I re-calibrated all of my stepper motors (x, y, z & e), and I feel I need to do that again. I went from under extrusion to maybe a bit over, which means I need to calibrate that extruder again. Here's a good video, which is close to what I actually did. I didn't do the backing off of the nut, and I think he's doing it too much, but I like the concept. I'll use it next time I go through all that.

Back
Top Bottom