• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

3d Printing a sheath for my trauma shears.

Discussion in '3D Printing, Laser and CNC' started by Pat.D, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Pat.D

Pat.D Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Lots of fun stuff one may do with a 3d printer. I've printed a few hose clips and things like that I found on Thingverse, but this is the first diving accessory I designed and printed.

Some of my diving is during cruises and taking a dive knife on a ship is a pain so I prefer trauma shears. I wanted a sheath that would clip on my BCD's left shoulder strap. The trauma shears snap in the sheath and are held in place by the hinge pin.

The sheath was designed in Fusion 360

Fusion%20360%20-%20Shears-M.jpg

The shears fit snugly in the printed sheath

IMG_0158-M.jpg

IMG_0157-M.jpg

The PT protection clothes cutting tab was ground off the shears as it is not needed.

IMG_0160-M.jpg

Voila!

I'll be testing it out under water soon and if I am satisfied with this version I'll be posting it to Thingverse and will add the link here.

So, anyone else design and print 3d stuff for diving?

Pat

2. SleepySlipper

SleepySlipper Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
  3. gbirch

gbirch Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Very nice. Let us know how the field testing goes

chillyinCanada likes this.
  4. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I just joined "HackerSpace Gainesville" and now have access to 3D printers. Pretty cool.

5. guruboy

guruboy Divemaster ScubaBoard Supporter

Did you use 100% fill? What material?

6. Pat.D

Pat.D Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Thanks!

Will do, and thanks!

They are quite fun. I'm currently teaching myself 3d design and printing as a hobby so my printer is an inexpensive Monoprice select mini v2, they go for a few hundred dollars on amazon.

As I am still in the testing phases I'm using PLA with gradual fill (20% inside up to 99% near surfaces). I like the slight flexibility needed to have enough give to "grab" the hinge pin but I'll give full 100% fill a try. When I'm satisfied with the final design I'll try an ABS version, but I'm pleasantly surprised with the PLA up to now.

7. cruisekingkris

cruisekingkris Regular of the Pub

Looks great.

Pat.D likes this.
  8. hilljo88

hilljo88 Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
  9. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

I've been fascinated with 3D printers for a few years now. Really looking forward to the test results Pat.D!

Pat.D likes this.
  10. jgttrey

jgttrey Barracuda

You might try PETG as an alternative to ABS. I've had really good luck with it. ABS can be a bit brittle. PETG is very strong, more flexible, less prone to warpage, and has better layer adhesion. It can be a bit finicky to dial in, but then it's great. Like ABS, it has much better characteristics for diving usage than PLA (i.e., not biodegradable).

I've used transparent PETG to print diffuser domes for my strobes and other colors for some custom tools that I needed for my rebreather. It's good stuff.

Keep it up. Your design skills are far better than mine and so far 95% of everything on Thingiverse that is dive related consists of line arrows and cylinder valve covers.

Pat.D likes this.