3d Printing a sheath for my trauma shears.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3D scanners are available but quite pricey.

I've been fascinated with 3D printers for a few years now. Really looking forward to the test results Pat.D!

Same here, that's why I bought a small inexpensive on to learn on. It's a lot of fun!

You might try PETG as an alternative to ABS ... Your design skills are far better than mine and so far 95% of everything on Thingiverse that is dive related consists of line arrows and cylinder valve covers.

I'll look up PETG, I have had to do a lot of tweaking - including encasing my printer under tub - to get half decent prints with ABS. I'll admit I kinda cheat to design, I took a photo of the shears with a ruler next to them, then imported the image as a canvass layer in Fusion 360, used the ruler to scale the image to the size of my grid and basically designed around it.

Oooops! My bad! Mistyped. I'll go back and fix it, thanks for spotting that!

I've got a gopro mask mount that I printed 3 years ago based on a thingiverse design a few years ago ... I didn't really like having a gopro on my mask strap so it's only seen about 5 dives. I think the concerns about using pla when diving are overstated.

I've seen those designs, but I really don't like having anything hanging off my mask or strap. I guess one of the good things about PLA under water is that when it gets damaged, you just print another one... it's dead cheap (though I'll admit not very sustainable...)

I have just started to use PETG and although it is a little fussier than PLA it makes for more durable prints. I have not tried ABS due to inadequate ventilation for my printer.

I'll order a roll and give it a try, whenever I print with ABS, I have to put my printer in the garage... it stinks!

Have you considered something PTE based?

PTE based? I have not heard of that stuff yet. Any good?

Pat

Pat

Is there a way to scan a solid object into a file?

Personally I take a photo with a ruler in the image for scale, then import it as a canvass into Fusion 360 and scale it to my grid. Then I can reduce it's transparency and literally design around it.

IMG_0144-M.jpg

bast-M.jpg

It may not be the best way to do this, but I'm still learning so it seems to work for me.

Also for those who may not know, download and use Autodesk fusion 360! It's free with a "Startup" hobbyist license for non commercial use. It's got a bit of a learning curve, but I learned the basics fairly quickly by watching a few beginner tutorial videos by YouTube user Lars Christensen Lars Christensen

Pat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom