3D printing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James.... what are your thoughts on 3d printed duro poppet for the 109? or even better, an s-wing poppet???

James.... what are your thoughts on 3d printed duro poppet for the 109? or even better, an s-wing poppet???
My first thought is " How did I become an authority on this stuff!"
My second thought is a duro poppet could probably be done, but orientation on the print bed would be important. Most failures of printed widgets I've had failed on the layer lines (fdm printer.... I have no experience with SLA).
I've never seen an S-wing poppet in person, so I can't speek to that pther than that the balace chamber would either be a straight no-go or require ridiculous fine post processing to achieve a smoothe inner surface for the O-rings of the poppet stem to slide on.
I do have some old eraser head style poppets that I plan on trimming back and making a puck style seat adapter for (think ghetto duro poppet)

Hi James, you did such a nice job with the purge i figured you must be a master. the S-wing poppet and balance chamber would definitely be trickier... The swing poppet is pretty tall and tippy in addition to the fine details (small o-rings etc) so i think it would be trick to print. The internal smoothing for the balance chamber could be achieved by using a secondary operation with a reamer, end mill or drill bit.

I like your seat adapter idea. or maybe a simplified duro poppet.

I started sketching a pseudo duro poppet in FreeCad... need to take some measurements to finish it. I should be able to have a test print this weekend. I'll update as the project goes.

1552739901230170926554.jpg
First try.... some dimensions are slighly off and I did a rough print. But it looks feasible! Will try this one on the bench soon and adjust from there. Picture is next to a factory duro poppet.

Looks pretty good. I wasn't sure if you'd print flat or tall. Looks like flat worked ok.
Looks ok in the picture, but has noticable sag along the length in person. Seat cup also deformed, had to trim the seat to almost a triangle to fit. Only printed in that orientation due to concerns about strength on the layer lines, but the more I thought about it the poppet is primarily in compression, so I re-printed vertical and it came out much better. Seat cup is a smidge small and too deep, but un-pressurized testing is promising so far.

20190330_074110.jpg
20190330_071945.jpg
20190330_071934.jpg
Version 3 of the pseudo-duro poppet! Seat cup is sized right, tested on a pony tanj works well, kids will bathtub test it tonight for me. As long as that goes well, it will go with me to Bali in 2 weeks for a live test. I did an ABS faceplate and TPU purge cover to clearly I.D. my test mule 109.... logo on the purge due to the old "it's life suport equipment, you're gonna die" mentality!

View attachment 512241 View attachment 512242 View attachment 512244 Version 3 of the pseudo-duro poppet! Seat cup is sized right, tested on a pony tanj works well, kids will bathtub test it tonight for me. As long as that goes well, it will go with me to Bali in 2 weeks for a live test. I did an ABS faceplate and TPU purge cover to clearly I.D. my test mule 109.... logo on the purge due to the old "it's life suport equipment, you're gonna die" mentality!

Love It! That looks pretty awesome. Let us know how the testing goes and share the files... if you live.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom