3D printing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, larger print bed means larger prints. However larger prints mean longer print times which means a higher chance of failure, much later in the process, when you've wasted time and material. It's not a detriment, it's just something to be aware of. If you have the gas you'll use it type of thing.

The "newbie" part in 3D printers is usually a two part kind of deal. The first is dealing with the printer itself. You've gotta be able to put it together, but that's more of a reflection on the instructions that come with the thing.

The second, is the software side. Some printers utilize their own software, others rely on any number of various slicers. Software like the Makerbot stuff is super easy for a newbie to use, but tbh the printer sucks and it's expensive. The alternative to that is using something like Cura or Slic3r, which has a billion options to really fine tune your prints. It is a much greater learning curve.

If you're willing to dedicate the time to learn the software of your choice, you'll be successful pretty quickly, in which case it would be a perfectly acceptable first printer. It's really the troubleshooting that's annoying, but you can google pretty much any issue these days and have 5 solutions in 3 minutes, and that's true of any printer or any software.

If you're not software inclined, you may have a harder time. What I find most common though is that people very quickly grow out of the basics pretty rapidly, and if they don't have the head room to expand, they end up getting frustrated. We have a Makerbot+ at work and I want to break it with a sledgehammer. It works great for some thing, but others it absolutely cannot do. It's very limiting in its ability both hardware and software wise so we aren't able to use it as much as we'd like.

Basically, you could get it as a first printer and have a little bit more of a learning curve, but the end result will be much better. As long as you realize that and accept that it may be a little frustrating at times, have at it!

@JohnnyC
Thanks for the insight.. I’m probably middle of the road on the software thing. Is there a specific software type that “least challenging” or has more default settings to help a newbie get up and running? My next choice would be one with the best forum support, and broad user base so I can get help..

Makerbot is by far the easiest largely distributed software to use, but their printers are ridiculously overpriced for their performance. I'd recommend getting Slic3r or Cura and downloading some .stl's from Thingiverse so you can play around with the software. My preference is Slic3r as the tool tips in the settings are really well done. It's a small thing but it helps a lot when learning the software.

There are forums and facebook groups dedicated to all of them so the user base thing isn't a super big issue these days.

So which printer is the best bang for the buck?

I went with the creality ender3. Had it assembled within an hour and have had mostly useable prints. I have printed in pla, tpu and petg. I have not tried abs and probably won't bother.

I went with a MeCreator 2.... fully assembled, but not the best bang for buck. If I had it to do again, I would probably go with the Tevo Tornado.
A bigger print bed means the option of bigger prints, but even on a 165mm x 165mm print bed I run into warping issues on larger stuff (but I also still have a lot of learning to do )

My Taz has a big print bed, but I usually only use 1/4 of it, max. Much more and the risk of failed prints goes up, exponentially...

I went with a MeCreator 2.... fully assembled, but not the best bang for buck. If I had it to do again, I would probably go with the Tevo Tornado.
A bigger print bed means the option of bigger prints, but even on a 165mm x 165mm print bed I run into warping issues on larger stuff (but I also still have a lot of learning to do )

I went with the Creality Ender 3. Easy DIY package and lots of good reviews. It's with me since a week. I've printed several objects with PLA and it's quite easy. I've also printed with Flex (TPU) and it's also easy.
I'm having big issues with ABS warping. The Ender 3 comes with a flexible hot bed cover to print directly on it without any hair spray or adherent means. I've tried with it, I've tried with a flat 3 mm glas + hair spray but always warping. I've also played a lot with the CURA, speed, cooling, infill, skirt, but still with no luck.
I know that I need more tries until I can finally cope with warping, but it's demoralizing.
I'm seriously thinking to replace ABS with PETG.

I went with the Creality Ender 3. Easy DIY package and lots of good reviews. It's with me since a week. I've printed several objects with PLA and it's quite easy. I've also printed with Flex (TPU) and it's also easy.
I'm having big issues with ABS warping. The Ender 3 comes with a flexible hot bed cover to print directly on it without any hair spray or adherent means. I've tried with it, I've tried with a flat 3 mm glas + hair spray but always warping. I've also played a lot with the CURA, speed, cooling, infill, skirt, but still with no luck.
I know that I need more tries until I can finally cope with warping, but it's demoralizing.
I'm seriously thinking to replace ABS with PETG.
Yeah, I have the most issues with ABS, but it's also a better parts material than PLA. I did enclose mine, and that's helping, but I'm not there yet.

Love It! That looks pretty awesome. Let us know how the testing goes and share the files... if you live.
In Bali now.... family vacation so only 1 dive so far, but the "Death Wish Engineering Pseudo Duro Poppet" performed identically to an actual Duro Poppet.... at least to my un-calibrated lungs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom