3D with disposable u.w. kodaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

holdingmybreath

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe you enjoy these 3d's I did with -50' cheap kodak throwaways glued together. An example of cross eye view 3D (slowly cross your eyes and focus on what becomes the picture in the center of the two pictures) Some people get it, some don't. example and link to more cross-eye 3D:
72SoftCorals3D.jpg

Link to 3d photos

If you have trouble with the cross-eye view, you could swap the left and right pictures and try them in parallel view. And something else that can be created with those stereo photos is regular 3D photos that you have to have 3D glasses (red/blue lenses) to view... like this:
3dglassessiguana.jpg

It took awhile but I got the hand of it. Cool effect.

You said you glued a couple of cameras together to do these. Can you get the same effect using a duplicate of the same picture?

Marc

FLL Diver:
It took awhile but I got the hand of it. Cool effect.

You said you glued a couple of cameras together to do these. Can you get the same effect using a duplicate of the same picture?

Marc

No, you can't. The pictures aren't identical.

The idea behind stereo vision, in general, is that two images from very slightly different angles (one from each eye) are interpolated by your brain to a 3d picture. This is how regular vision works - each eye sees a slightly different image and the brain puts it together for stereo vision.

With two cameras taped together, you again get two very slightly different images. The differences are what define the depth in the image, so you need two unique pictures. There's no 3d information in any one of the pictures, but it's the differences.

Tortuga Roja:
WOW!! I like that a lot!!

I want to play with it too. Do you have something that attaches the 2 shutters together so that you release them simultaneously? I assume the cameras are glued side to side?
I did my best to press the shutters at the same time.. sometimes, under the water I'd hear click - click, meaning the shutters didn't quite go off at the same time.. other times I would only hear one click, and then I know I hit the same time. Even on some pics, where I knew the shutters didn't quite go evenly, they still turned out.. even with fish moving, as long as the clicks were very close together.
Here's the camera's I used, although the first set I just glued together.. these I spaced apart with pieces of hotmelt glue. The lenses have be flat, and parallel, not tilted as one might think.
3dcameras.JPG

ok... i guess i'm visually impaired or something... i can't see the 3-d thing

That is very cool!

H2Andy:
ok... i guess i'm visually impaired or something... i can't see the 3-d thing
H2Andy, give these a try... these are Parallel stereo.. you don't cross your eyes but rather look through the pictures.. focusing on a point behind. You really have to relax your eyes. This works for some that can't get the cross eyed 3D. What I've done is taken the right pic and swapped it for the left pic and the vise-versa. To view this cross eyed.. you'd have to swap them back again. The way they are here is how you would need them for those antique stereoscopes to view them if you were to print them out.

72EagleRayparallel3D.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom