3D with disposable u.w. kodaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

holdingmybreath:
H2Andy, give these a try... these are Parallel stereo.. you don't cross your eyes but rather look through the pictures.. focusing on a point behind. You really have to relax your eyes. This works for some that can't get the cross eyed 3D. What I've done is taken the right pic and swapped it for the left pic and the vise-versa. To view this cross eyed.. you'd have to swap them back again. The way they are here is how you would need them for those antique stereoscopes to view them if you were to print them out.

72EagleRayparallel3D.jpg

Neat. That one hurts a lot less :wink:

This turns out really great. I've been doing the same thing with my little digital camera, taking one picture leaning to the right and then taking one picture leaning to the left. It works reasonably well, but all the fish have moved substantially so you get horrible rendition on them. For still items a single camera works just fine if you are careful. You've found the simple and inexpensive solution for cross-eyed or parrallel viewing 3-d pairs.

A note to people who want to try this, you need to put the right side image on the left and visa-versa for crosseyed viewing. If you are an expert (I can't do parallel viewing) at the 3-D posters you used to see at the mall, then left image as left and right image on the right will work.

Steve

holdingmybreath:
Maybe you enjoy these 3d's I did with -50' cheap kodak throwaways glued together. An example of cross eye view 3D (slowly cross your eyes and focus on what becomes the picture in the center of the two pictures) Some people get it, some don't. example and link to more cross-eye 3D:
72SoftCorals3D.jpg

Link to 3d photos

hey, thanks, holdingmybreath

i think i see it now!

That's awesome! I have no trouble with the cross eyed ones but the other one I can't get. Just to clarify ... for the cross eyed ones you keep the left and right orientation of the pictures the same as when you shot them, right? Can you give us a little more detail on attaching the cameras? Any tricks you may have used to line them up? I definitely want to play with this.

Thanks,

Eric

Tortuga Roja:
Thanks.

I am gonna try it. It may be a while since I have a new video camera coming tomorrow with the housing to follow soon. So obviously I'll be preoccupied for a while.

But I will get around to it and I'll post something here when I do.

Would you mind buying another housing and glueing them together then posting some video for us :54:

I laid the cameras out with lens' up and the bottom of the cameras together, aligned the lenses up as best I could using a straight edge and sighting. Applied a line of hotmelt glue along the two cameras bottom edge as they were touching, then turned the cameras over so the lens were down.. I had to prop them up on a plastic box of 22 rimfire shells so that the two lens had a flat surface to rest on..the shutter release of the cameras wouldn't let the lenses sit flat on a table. I applied pressure and twisted the cameras a bit to bring the lenses flat on the box of shells and then applied another line of glue along the bottom edge of the cameras that hadn't been glued yet. Laid on another line or two of hotmelt glue on both edges. (I was able to easily peel off and remove the glue for processing by using a hot knife to cut the cameras apart)
From what I read distance between lenses should be about 63.5mm but by just putting the camera bottom edges together I ended up with about 60+mm. And on the camera's I've got together now I actually spaced slightly farther apart.
For cross eyed viewing... the picture from the left camera goes on the right and from the right camera goes on the left.
Here's where I got my "how to"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom