3M White Pointer eaten by ???????? check this out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thnx for the article

Jim, do you know the longest White Pointers ever documented?

There is video of a mother Orca shredding a Great White off California's North Central Coast, so it's baby could feed on it.

According to this Orca distribution map the Orca's range includes waters not far off Queensland.

AMERICAN CETACEAN SOCIETY:
DISTRIBUTION AND MIGRATION:

The orca is found in all the oceans of the world, though they are more abundant in cooler waters. Unlike some other species of whales, which follow a regular migration route each year, the orca seems to travel according to the availability of food. They are one of the few species of whales that move freely from hemisphere to hemisphere.

Interesting! Even more interesting are the comments of the readers. Seems most of them are on the side of the shark now. Is the tide turning?

Are there any documented incident involving orca and divers or swimmers?

If they are estimating the bites may be from a 5m white pointer (great white), that comes as no surprise to me. I've seen sharks in that range up to 6 m and know they grow bigger.

I think it is interesting that two weeks prior some fishermen had reported finding the carcass of another white pointer, well half of it on a beach within the area this was found.
This area is in the path of the humpback migration. On last count 13000 humpbacks are using the east coast for migration, going up in May June July and returning August Sept Oct.
The local authorities have been dumping the carcasses of whales which have died on an island close to this area, somehow my gut is saying this is not assisting.

Have never heard of Orca off southern Qld, but do know they are in northern Qld waters and PNG.
I had always THOUGHT the great whites kept to the south because of the water temp.
Shall certainly be changing my thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom