3mm full suit right now, good right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmbelows

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah? 3mm full suit ought to do it for diving right now? Got a 3mm shorty too, but figure 3mm full to be safe? What do you say?

It depends on how long your dives will be. 45-50 minutes a 3 mil shorty ought to be OK. 1 hour plus I'd vote for the full 3 mil.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Yeah? 3mm full suit ought to do it for diving right now? Got a 3mm shorty too, but figure 3mm full to be safe? What do you say?

I'd say bring the full suit and an extra layer if you get cold. Just finished 5 days of diving and was pretty chilly yesterday. I was wearing Lavacore vest under my 3 mil and a beanie and was starting to get cold. My computer read 79-80 but if it's overcast or rains overnight, feels chillier. You're better off warm then cold.

I would run a full 3MM. Water temp is about 81F but it's a personal comfort thing. I know 1 gentleman, Larry, who never uses a wetsuit and others that use 5MM in the summer but for most a full 3MM is comfortable at 81F. If you are diving aggressively (20+ hours a week) you may want a core warmer or other under garment. I would have a wind breaker available for after the dive for when the lower humidity (northern) weather systems slip down, the ride home can get brutal.
Sea water temperature Cozumel today, yesterday and tomorrow. Cozumel sea surface temperature now. Cozumel average monthly sea temperatures. North America Quintana Roo Mexico.

Last edited:
I would run a full 3MM. Water temp is about 81F but it's a personal comfort thing. I know 1 gentleman, Larry, who never uses a wetsuit and others that use 5MM in the summer but for most a full 3MM is comfortable at 81F. If you are diving aggressively (20+ hours a week) you may want a core warmer or otjer under garment. I would have a wind breaker available for after the dive for when the lower humidity (northern) weather systems slip down, the ride home can get brutal.
Sea water temperature Cozumel today, yesterday and tomorrow. Cozumel sea surface temperature now. Cozumel average monthly sea temperatures. North America Quintana Roo Mexico.

Keep in mind that is surface temp can be 2-3 degrees cooler at depth.

Keep in mind that is surface temp can be 2-3 degrees cooler at depth.
I really don't see much difference unless the current is very slack, normally the bouy temps reflect the temp down to 100'+. Temps vary with computers but my current Oceanic seems to track the 'official' reported temp pretty close.

3MM full suit would be fine (all I ever dive with year round in coz) but in the winter, add a beanie! I'll take a 3MM full suit with a 3MM beanie any day over a 5MM full suit without a beanie!

I'm here now with a 3mm long sleeve shorty and it's wonderful. Girls on the boat were wearing only bikinis and that's cool too..
Heh heh

I'm here now with a 3mm long sleeve shorty and it's wonderful. Girls on the boat were wearing only bikinis and that's cool too..
Heh heh

I'm here now -- leaving tomorrow: (.

I've been wearing a full 4.3, and a thermulation heated shirt and a Beanie and a 1mm skin top during dives for the last 10 days...and I'm cold enough that'll I'll be in a 5mm here next month. .

On some of the same dives, one person on the boat was wearing just board shorts, so his perception would be completely different.

Of course, these were 70~100+ minute dives (thanks, Aldora), and there's been some raim in the mornings, making the boat rides and sometimes surface intervals chilly for me. If you're doing shorter & shallow on a sunny day, with a short boat ride to a warm surface interval, it'd be very different situation.

As far as I can tell, the question is so subjective for both the original poster & respondents that it's basically useless.

Another answer... 7/7 of divers (including DM) today were wearing at least full suit 3mm -- some were wearing up to rash top + 5mm+hooded vest...and 4/7 were wearing hoods.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom