3mm wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FirasR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm considering purchasing one of the below wetsuits as my first suit for early winter diving in Kuwait (Oct./Nov. 25-29 celsius) and a future liveaboard safari to Sudan. From cheapest to most expensive they're:

1. Scubapro Everflex Mens 3mm (2018 UK model, front zipper version)
  2. WaterProof Mens W3 3.5mm
  3. Fourth Element Proteus II 3mm

I would like people's feedback on general quality and features as unfortunately none of these latest models are available locally for trying out. I know that fit will be a personal thing and will differ person to person. I managed to get my hands-on an older model Scubapro Everflex 5mm (small size fit me well) but none of the other two were available. I'd also like to know:
  • The pros/cons of the front zipper compared to back zipper (other than the obvious convenience) as the UK version (where I'm considering ordering from) of the Everflex is a front zip version.
  • Are the arms & leg zippers on the Waterproof a cause for water leaks?
  • I've read in various posts that the Fourth Element suits are difficult to get on. Is that true of the 3mm Proteus II?

In early 2018 purchased a ScubaPro Definition 3mm. Used in both fresh and salt water all above 70 degrees F. Tried on the SP Everflex and preferred the Definition. Very comfortable and top notch quality. I've worn rented Bares and Mares wetsuits in the Caribbean and neither comes close to the Definition albeit they were rentals so who knows how well they were taken care of.

I just went through this process ...

My thread: 3mm Fullsuit time ... ScubPro/SubGear Definition vs. Waterproof W3
Some sizing feedback I reported:
wet suit first time buyer

I found the Proteus a hassle to get into because of the weird floating back panel and took it of my list. I would probably be warmer, though as a result of it.

I have the W3. They use semi-dry style seals at the ankles and wrists so the zippers are not an issue for water intrusion. I do wish I had the seals from the Medium as the are a tiny bit looser than I'd prefer, but needed the Large for my shoulders. It is still new, with only a few dives, but quality seems excellent. I have no regrets.

I was considering the following suit. I am hot natured (love that a/c) and really think I will seldom need a wet suit in the caribbean. I might want one elsewhere.
2019 Orca Openwater Men’s Open Piece Triathlon Wetsuit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom