3rd dive and flooded... oly pt-050 help me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will send it to Olympus as I read it may have deform from the gas inside when the battery was exposed to the water, that's why it might not be closing now.

I

When you got flooded your housing what was the status of the battery? Was it deformed? When you opened the housing did you get steam out of it? Did you use an original or compatible battery?
Li Ion batteries can behave badly if exposed to water however it would take a really low quality battery to simply start producing gas because of over heat in the housing
So you have to be careful to establish if the housing flooded and then as a result the battery started a process of producing gas and hence deformed the housing by excessive heat and gas
OR a poor quality battery overheated and because of impurities in the pack ended up short circuiting producing gas and then blowing the housing making it flood
If the housing flooded because of user error (which would certainly be the case if you use the original battery) then there is no point sending the item anywhere as it is entirely your fault
On the other hand if you used a compatible battery that ended up short circuit and warping the housing you are at fault too

In essence next time make sure you have a flooding insurance

I didn't see smoke, by still I heard a pop sound when I opened the housing, I will be sending the housing to see if it is still usable if not I will have to buy housing and camera again...

i continued to dive it was too late when i realized that, at the beginning of the dive the first 10 to 15 min, i was able to take around 10 pictures, then i wanted to take one picture of a turtle and the camera was just not turning on i looked at the housing and it was flooded :(.

i am sure it was my fault i missed something, let see if olympus can replace or sell me a refurbish. i just hope the housing works to save some dollars...

OK so there was a good amount of water which means the battery could have actually warped the housing that explains why it is now leaking in the sink as well.

Did you have an original battery in the housing?

I would think it is extremely unwise to attempt at repairing a polycarbonate housing after warping it as the material collapses.

I would try to get Olympus to repair the camera if possible and get a new housing maybe an ex display

Did you have insurance?
i continued to dive it was too late when i realized that, at the beginning of the dive the first 10 to 15 min, i was able to take around 10 pictures, then i wanted to take one picture of a turtle and the camera was just not turning on i looked at the housing and it was flooded :(.

i am sure it was my fault i missed something, let see if olympus can replace or sell me a refurbish. i just hope the housing works to save some dollars...

I didn't have insurance, next I will but I don't know which company deals with that, dan reference to a company for insurance but I don't know how it works..

Back
Top Bottom