• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

4/3 Lens Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Olympus Outlet' started by jayceebutler, Oct 18, 2019.

1. jayceebutler

jayceebutler Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I am putting together a parts list for a Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II + Nauticam system, and was hoping to get some recommendations on the following lens choices.

Fisheyes:
    Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm f/3.5
    or
    Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye PRO

There isn't a big difference in price, but the Olympus is much larger. Is the quality of the Olympus noticeably superior to justify the size and extra $200? Also, I believe the Olympus lens must be removed to extract the camera from housing, which is slightly inconvenient.

Medium Macro:
    Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm f/2.8
    or
    Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 30mm f/3.5 Macro

Same price. Is one recommended over another for auto-focus and quality?

2. Hoag

Hoag Loggerhead Turtle

I had an Olympus M4/3 camera and the Panasonic 8mm f3.5 fisheye lens. It was a very good diving setup - compact, very good (but not what I would consider great) images and it was easy to pack (I could fit everything, the camera with kit lens, my fisheye lens, my housing/port and 2 Inon strobes into my carry on.) The limitations that I had on image quality were due to the camera being a first gen M4/3 body and sensor. I would feel very comfortable recommending the Panasonic 8mm fisheye lens. Just be aware of one thing - while there are no straight lines in nature, it is a fisheye, so it will distort - a lot. You have to either accept that when you see it, or have the ability to "de-fish" the image in editing. The 8mm fisheye lens also fits inside most 4 inch "mini-domes" which is nice.

I rarely shot macro, but when I did, I used the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro lens and had really good results.

jayceebutler likes this.
  3. rmorgan

rmorgan Angel Fish

Jaycee, I assume the Olympus fisheye is larger because it's faster. The Olympus pro lenses are excellently built, and if were building a new kit I'd likely get that one because of the two-stop advantage (arguably not a big deal with fisheye anyway); but like Hoag, I've used the Panasonic 8mm for years and quite enjoyed it. (You're right about it being a bit of a pain to have to pull the port and lens to extract the body. I don't know about the fisheye, but I do have a lens which requires that and it's always a little unnerving to see the imaging sensor exposed.)

On the macro side, I'm just leaving on a trip with a new Olympus 30mm based on good results reported here (there's a current thread, as you've doubtless noticed) and elsewhere; I've had the Olympus 60mm since it came out; there is much to love about it and I've been pleased with many of the images, but it can hunt a lot. On land, the Olympus 30 seems quick to focus and accurate, and I'm looking forward to using it. The 45 port, which accommodates the Olympus 30, has a cold shoe built in, which I'll certainly try with a focusing light.

The Nauticam Mark II is a jewel, the camera's great, and I'm sure you'll love your new rig.

jayceebutler likes this.