4 inch tear in my 7ml wetsuit - what is the best way to fix it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMsDonna

Registered
Reaction score
Ugg
Thanks for all the help in keeping warm in Ontario waters.
I went to put on my 7ml suit last weekend and noticed a 4 inch cut on my wet suit thigh. It appears to have come from the inside to the outside. It is cut 1 inch on the outer layer. The damage is a mystery to me :(
What is the best product to seal, glue, patch it?
Thanks for all your help.

Neoprene cement from your LDS.

Gary D.

AquaSeal .... its a divers duct tape.

Available today at your LDS or any online dive shop like leisurepro.

I think you'll find that Seal Cement (which is made by
Aquaseal, but is something else) works better for this
than Aquaseal. Be sure to follow the direction (two coats,
drying for the amount specified in between, THEN squeeze
together. And then run a thin bead of seal cement along
the edge of the repair for reinforcement.

Seal Cement comes in black and clear. Black seems to
work better. Both are ugly on the suit.

I agree aquaseal is a little stiff and inflexible for a wet suit repair like this. A neoprene cement is better.

Basically most work like a contact cement - apply to each side and let it set up for 5 minutes or so then press them together.

It's potentially overkill, but I also use a curved needle and thread and stitch the fabric together on each side as that is where much of the strenght comes from. Be careful to just catch the fabric and not poke holes very far into the neoprene. When you are done, then recoat the seam with neoprene cement to seal it and prevent the nylon edges from unraveling.

Thanks for the help. I put in an order for some neoprene cement. I may get out a needle and thread as well. Too bad I missed the diving in 10 degree C weather - sorry imperial diver buddies I am not sure how cold that is beyond "bloody cold"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom