$400-$500 Video Light(s)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSR-3

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a couple lights ($400-$500 each) in this range and try to shoot some video with my M4/3 camera. Can I please get some suggestions or tips on selection? The ability to swap batteries in my strobes after a dive or 2 has been a benefit, but I only see a couple light mfg's have that option. Thanks!

Kraken video lights are right around that range. Jack at Optical Ocean Sales has them, he's on scubaboard. He'd be able to tell you all about them. I don't believe he carries anything that's junk.

Big Blue video lights will give you excellent value and build quality with user replaceable batteries that you can buy spares of and pre-charge so you can swap them out between dives. They would be within your budget.

I have 3800 lumens in one Light and Motion Sola video light and even that is not bright enough for video - light falls off at a distance much closer than you would imagine. Two would be better than one if you could mount them on arms to minimize backscatter and to encompass a large area of light, but even one of those is way more expensive than the equivalent lumen you could get from Big Blue which is why I'm steering you that way. I have their 3300 and 1200 lights and they're really great. Buy as much lumen as you can for your budget.

The fact that you can't replace batteries and pre-charge for the Sola can be a bit of a hassle depending on how high power you are using it and for how long on a particular dive. With that said, the one I have charges quite quickly. I am hesitant to recommend Light and Motion Solas to you within the price point you quoted for those reasons..Other manufacturers offer more lumen for the buck but don't get me wrong, they are very good video lights and I like mine but I mostly shoot still.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom