$400 Slip? New Tank Damage after Slipping on Rocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings all,

I hope this is the right place to post.

Recently picked up two new Faber HP100. LDS charged $400/each with free air fills and visuals inspection for two years (hope this puts the price in perspective). We had our first dive with the tanks yesterday. Unfortunately, while walking into the water I slipped on some rocks and caused several scrapes/gouges on this brand new tank!

I didn't realize the damage until after the dive. I got that horrible feeling in my stomach after seeing the damage.

I talked with our LDS on the phone today. They said they would inspect it when we make the trip for a refill, but they stated it may need to go in for hydro. Luckily if that is the case, our lds will provide me a free loaner as they did when we waited for the tanks to come in. I hope this wasn't a $400 fall.

Have any of you damaged your tanks like this from falling? My wife made the right choice to enter further down the shore after seeing me fall. I should have done the same. /facepalm

View attachment 526274

View attachment 526275

View attachment 526276

There is nothing that appears wrong with that tank. the paint is gouged not the metal tank itself.

Is that a crease in the tank? I can't tell if it's a "optical collusion" as Yogi Berra would say or a real dent. Take a pic almost parallel to the tank looking down.

I have an update. Spoke with the manager who saw the pictures and said it looks like the paint was scrapped. The person I spoke with is not someone I usually deal with. Sorry for wasting your time. I was freaking out a bit.

Glad to hear! You were freaking out. :D

The more I look the more I hate the angle. I can't tell squat from that angle.

I saw the optical illusion, too, but think the OP would have said “dent” if there were a dent.

The OP might not know the difference between a dent and a paint chip or both. Those tanks are at least 1/4” thick high strength steel.
I seriously doubt there is a “dent”.
You would have to wail on it with a sledge hammer to even try to dent it and good luck with that. Even if the OP fell 20’ straight down onto a pointed rock it would be difficult to dent a steel dive tank.
If you are concerned, get it in the right light and sight down it, or put a straight edge on it.

You would have to wail on it with a sledge hammer to even try to dent it and good luck with that. Even if the OP fell 20’ straight down onto a pointed rock it would be difficult to dent a steel dive tank.

I don't even want to ask how you know gained that knowledge.

Bob

The OP might not know the difference between a dent and a paint chip or both. Those tanks are at least 1/4” thick high strength steel.
I seriously doubt there is a “dent”.
If you are concerned, get it in the right light and sight down it, or put a straight edge on it.
yeah... but I totally did have a student fall and put a deep gouge in an ALM 80 that was on it's first dive like 25 years ago, deep enough to condemn the tank. Steel, would take much more effort than falling down

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom