42 & New 22 First Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamieG

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Can anyone explain the difference between the new 22 1st stage and the 42 first stage please?

From what I understand Mares have just brought out a new smaller 22. Does this rival the 42 for size and is there any difference in performance between the 42 and 22 when set up with an Abyss 2nd stage?

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the board.

The NEW MR22 1st stage is a new design from the exterior perspective. It is a little smaller and lighter than the previous version. Internally it is the same 1st stage with the same performance. It is still larger than the MR42 1st stage.

Yes there are some performance differences. The Abyss 42 configuration is a slightly higher performing regulator. See below for comparison

Abyss 42
Codes: 416133 DIN / 416133 INT
First stage weight: 646g INTL/452g DIN
Second Stage Weight: 263g
Oil/Dry CWD kit Oil
Balanced Diaphram: Balanced diaphragm design
Nitrox: No
Number of HP ports: 2 HP 7/16" UNF ports
Number of LP ports: 4 LP 3/8" UNF port
Inhale pressure: 7.64
Exhale pressure: 10.56
Ext work of breathing: 0.90
Inhale Work: 0.26
Pos inhale work: 0.02
Exhale work: 0.64
Volume depth of test: 50.5 msw (166 fsw)

Abyss 22
Codes: 416134 DIN / 416134 INT / 416134 NX
First stage weight: 1135g INT/947g DIN/946 NX
Second Stage Weight: 263g
Oil/Dry CWD kit Oil
Balanced Diaphram: Balanced diaphragm design
Nitrox: Yes
Number of HP ports: 2 HP 7/16" UNF ports
Number of LP ports: 1 LP 1/2" UNF port (primary), 3 LP 3/8" UNF ports
Inhale pressure: 9.85
Exhale pressure: 9.06
Ext work of breathing: 0.92
Inhale Work: 0.27
Pos inhale work: 0.02
Exhale work: 0.65
Volume depth of test: 50.4 msw (165.5 fsw)

I hope this helps to your questions.

Best regards,

Thanks Zak - the figures are pretty similar so in the real world I doubt if there is any noticable difference?(What would you say?)

One thing I did notice is that it says the 42 isn't Nitrox compatable - does this mean for over 40% out of the box?

Thanks again for your help.

Jamie, You are welcome. Well the performance differences are going to be awfully subtle. I'll leave it at that. If you travel much, perhaps the 42 is the way to go. As for the nitrox. In the U.S. both regulators are nitrox compatible upto 40% out of the box. Outside of the U.S., you should refer to the regulations within the countries you are diving.

Sincerely,

The differences are not detectable by a human. US Navy testing, along with other agencies, has determined that you cannot reliably tell a difference in overall work-of-breathing until the difference is around 0.4-0.5j/l.

I have the original version of the MR42, the V42. The V42 uses a spherical core seal system rather than the new tri-material HP valve. I love mine, particularly paired with the Proton metal second stages.

Greg Barlow

Thanks Zak (and Greg)

I had an older Abyss on the old 22 about 7 years ago so if the new 22 is as good as that but a bit more compact and lighter I will be happy with that.

Thanks for your interest in our regulators. Happy shopping!

Best,

Back
Top Bottom