4ft underwater, dived deeper, momentarily lost consciousness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it possible this was vertigo? New diver, maybe an equalization imbalance between ears?
I have had people describe vertigo as a feeling of “almost fainting”.

OP states “loss consciousness”, so it is very concerning. But I wonder if it was a feeling “like”, versus “actual” due to vertigo.
It must be. I can't imagine any instructor would allow a student to continue if that student lost consciousness on a dive and didn't' find/fix some medical problem afterward.

Interesting read. This is likely either a new diver mislabeling the event or someone seeking attention.

It must be. I can't imagine any instructor would allow a student to continue if that student lost consciousness on a dive and didn't' find/fix some medical problem afterward.

Unfortunately, I can imagine some instructors doing exactly that! I'm sure I've even met a few.....

Condition has not occurred again.

That's irrelevant and not a reason to continue diving without a medical check up.

My doctor is a scuba diver.

That's nice to hear, but doesn't mean they have medical training in hyperbaric medicine. I'm a car driver. It doesn't mean I could diagnose or fix my engine.

Plan to continue training for now.

I don't know how much clearer the responses from this thread could be. DO NOT.

For your safety and those around you. You are the safety net for whomever you're diving with.
Put the shoe on the other foot. Would you feel comfortable relying on your buddy as your safety net if you knew they'd blacked out at 4ft before?

If the answer to that is no, then go see a doctor. If the answer is yes, then please stop diving as your selfishness is a liability to both you and everyone who dives with you.

I can't imagine ANY doctor not being concerned that you lost consciousness for any amount of time for no reason. I'd sure as **** want to know Why I blacked out before being under water.

Everyone’s advising this Mr.Ed,

Please do NOT dive with your jacked up head

If your going to ignore us,

Just do one thing for us

First change your handle to Mr.Dead

Seems like the OP wasn't really looking for advice, because the advice has been unanimous ("Stop diving, see a doctor!") but there's no indication he's listening. More likely he had already decided what he was going to do, i.e. continue with his training, and was looking for affirmation.

I feel for the instructor. The implication of the first post was that this occurred in the pool and the instructor was not told about it. If the OP joins the class in the ocean and the symptoms repeat... could have long term consequences for everyone in the class.

Maybe OP will listen now, think of everyone involved.

If the OP joins the class in the ocean and the symptoms repeat... could have long term consequences for everyone in the class.

That is a valid point.

We have no right to define the accepted risk level for others but we can demand that no unconsenting diver needs to face the possible death of a dive buddy (and that our so-called community will not suffer from loss of access etc). In short: Do not harm others.

The OP is welcome to dive with me, although distance is an issue. I would not take an incident lightly, but the freedom of choice is valuable.

ps. the severity and realness of the claimed "loss of consciousness" is not completely clear to me - there is something familiar about the the described sensation and for me it was related to excitement and not to true changes in consciousness. The strong recommendation to consult a medical doctor, if economically possible, still apply.

Please note, I did not lose consciousness, I became disoriented
I just finished reading through this post which was initiated in 2020. You did state in your initial post that "suddenly it was if I momentarily blacked out. Uncertain as to what happened I repeated my actions and the same loss consciousness occurred."

So my question for you is, did you see a doctor about this? Did you finish your certification? We all want to know because nobody wants to put themselves at risk to dive with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom