(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't assume the diver was in any condition to grab a ring shot to him and hold it. If he couldn't hold on to a stationary mooring bouy, what makes you think he could hold on to a life ring or any other kind of line thrown to him?

If we all try hard enough, we might just save this guy yet.

I have read this thread and I will tell you my mistake as a newbie that I made this past nov diving in the keys. My husband and I went diving at Looe key as we heard this was an easy site being newly certified since last May and have only 35 dives mostly in bonaire and springs. We did our research and bought the best equipment that said we went on a six pack boat and ended up just being our family. First surprise of the dive doing a backwards roll up to this point only had done shore diving and jumping off dive platform from back of boat. So after talking myself mental courage to fall backwards in water (something should of taught in ow but wasn't) did that foolish me asked do if I couldnt just manually inflate bc and then jump in water and but it on he laughed and said you obviously havent dove in currents which was right because in bonaire didnt have that issue.
So hubby and I dove watch computer say had 1500 told hubby time to go up we came up and thought we were near our boat but when we surfaced realised the current had pushed us 50 to 75 ft from the boat. The current was stronger and it was a light chop inflated my bc and thought it was strange it felt heavier and did not have the lift I normaly did so I blew manually in bc nothing happen and this is when things went wrong what saved my life was keeping a calm head and praying . Hubby had done what a buddy should of never done he had gong back under and did not come back up to see what was wrong because he felt to deal with current it was better do descend and use navigational skills while I did not want to go back under because I knew something wasn't right. tried to get capts attention on boat but did not respond so I kept regulator in mouth fought current prayed and swam made it to the boat when i got to anchor line and pulled my self to the boat the rest of the boat exhausted. Well hubby and the boat capt thought I just panic and nothing was wrong with bc they were wrong later retelling this story found out that my scubapro air 2 had a recall due to the flex hose adapator had split after calling scubapro supposedly mine was the only inwater failure. By the way by the time I got to the boat had only 500 left in tank. What did I learn from this several things first I should of ditched my weights, I should of inflated sausage, that I should of gone back under so I didnt fight the current, also I learned that I need aow classes which I plan to take because I realise the dive shop that certifited me was more intersted in certifying to get business that teaching me some necessary skills have since gone to a more reliable dive shop.

I have not dove since this incident because had deviated septum surgery in feb and just got cleared. I wanted to go to mega dive but did not because two things need to happen before I dive again one is I need to be in a pool in control setting to see what happens with sinus after surgery and the most important is to go aow. Also that hubby and I get more insync as buddys.
I know I will probably get some grief over some things I said but what I am trying to point out is something as simple as one equipment malfunction can cause a series of events that can cause you to not to react like you should like i should of dump weights and didnt because I was to busy trying to a figure out what was wrong than b how was I going to get back to the boat because noone was thier to help me and it was up to me (please dont slam hubby he felt horrible after he learned what happen)

scubabanker:
What did I learn from this several things first I should of ditched my weights, I should of inflated sausage

YES

scubabanker:
...that I should of gone back under so I didnt fight the current

NO....See "I should have inflated the sausage"

Drop the weights, inflate the marker bouy, wait for the boat.

Don't make it any harder. Descending with little air in your tanks after deflating your one bouyancy device would have been foolish. Stay on the surface, bouyant, and wait for the boat. There is no danger is being afloat.

yeah, make yourself positively bouyant (inflate BC first, then ditch weights if
necessary), deploy the sausage, and go for a ride.

you can only make things worse if you fight the current

btw, Scubabanker, no time no see! :wink:

Scuba Banker,glad you are okay, I can't believe your OW1 did not teach you a back roll,graned my training on the backroll was from the side of the pool, but training none the less. This is a very basic skill you will need since with many small resort boats that may be your only or easiest entry. Before you take you AOW, interview some of the shops to see what is included in their program and compare, compare, compare.

scubabanker:
What did I learn from this several things first I should of ditched my weights, I should of inflated sausage

I would add " kick your hubby/buddy i the #$%^ (or other acceptable punishment) for not staying on the surface with you"

Man, You get busy for a while and then come back to the post and POW!! We're going over the same stuff all over again!

Hey, got another post in, though!

grumble.....

Okay, just got done reading this entire thread. If others have read the whole thing, then you'll see that I responded to it early on, but since then, I haven't given it much thought. I revisited it today and I just have a few observations:

"It's a Dive" is a very, very professional operation. I would stack it against any operation in the Keys (confident statement as I lived there for six years), and be satisfied that it would come out ahead of, or equal to anyone else. It is my preferred operation down there and I'm always impressed with the professionalism of the staff and their obvious concern for safety. Recently, I was getting ready for a routine dive with them on the reef. The weather wasn't ideal and I watched them turn away three snorkeling teams and a new diver team because it 'might be a little rough out there'. Not many operations in the Keys or elsewhere would turn away paying customers in conditions short of a hurricane!

If you haven't dove the SG, then it's hard to grasp how difficult a dive this can be. In a way, it's a lot like the Great Lakes. Beautiful but can turn nasty in the blink of an eye. Currents, depth, and heavy seas can conspire to turn an advanced dive into a serious challenge. This is why I suggested in my earlier post that this dive should be reserved for EXPERIENCED divers, not just those with an Advanced Certification

Some other points to consider.

If the boat is free of the mooring, they instruct divers to let go of the ball. Why? Because other divers are comming up the line. They need the divers to be away from the line so they can pick them up. If the diver is holding on to the line, and there are divers below, then the prop can turn the submerged divers into chum real quick.

If the boat is still tied off, then the diver should go hand over hand to the stern of the vessel and subsequently board her. The boat shouldn't release the mooring ball if the diver releases the mooring and becomes adrift because there are more divers under the water that the boat is responsible for. The diver who is now afloat should simply inflate the BC, deploy a surface marker and wait for pick up. If the diver becomes concerned, then ditch the bloody weights! I donno, but the $60 I have invested in my weights are worth a lot less than my life - but that's just me.

Speculation as to what the diver should have done or could have done is just a waste of electrons. Yes, it's sad when a diver dies, can't agree more. But I think that jumping on the dive operation (no, I have no financial connections to them other than my admiration for their skill and professionalism) or the diver without first hand knowledge is ill advised.

Baitedstorm did us all a great service by bringing this unfortunate event to our attention. What I would take away from this thread is twofold.

First, we shouldn't do a dive that is beyond our capabilities. Heck, I'm an instructor, but I won't go into a cave! Never be apprehensive about 'calling a dive' I have and don't regret it one bit.

Second, we should review what we would do in a similar situation. What would YOU do if you were tired, out of air, and in heavy seas with a current? What are the proper proceedures? I frequently mentally review them so that if I encounter a similar situation, I have a pretty good idea as to what to do. Suggest you do the same.

Mempilot - what you said about conditions out there are 'Spot on'. Speaking for myself "Been there, done that, and have the mediallion". Thanks for your input.

Baitedstorm - thanks again for bringing this to our attention and your insistance that we don't jump to conclusions before all the facts are in. The analysis of any situation is difficult at best - and impossible without all the facts.

"It's a Dive" - I will continue to dive with you and, what's probably more insightful, I will continue to allow my wife, niece and others I hold dear to dive with you, without hesitation. You have always treated us well, without acting like we are children - a fine ballance to maintain. I can assure you that you continue to have a loyal customer.

In conclusion, I'm sure others will find adiquate fodder contained in this post to blast me out of the water. But unlike a lot of folks who have posted in this thread, I've been to the SG and dove with "It's a Dive" I can assure you that I'll be doing both again, in the very near future.

Warmest Regards and Safe Diving,

Lee

my1ocean:
Man, You get busy for a while and then come back to the post and POW!! We're going over the same stuff all over again!

Hey, got another post in, though!
You're getting good at it too.

Was VERY nice to meet you!
I hope to be back soon. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom