5 mm wetsuit recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As several others said above, great fit is key to wetsuit warmth and comfort. Custom will always be an ideal fit because it's made to your measurements.

If you really want a stock suit for some reason, pick the one that fits best by either comparing your measurements to the size chart, or try on every suit you can find and pick the one that fits best.

Hope that helps!
Derek & JMJ

My new Aqualung wetsuit just doesnt fit right. I shouldn't have bought it.
Way too tight across my chest/shoulders. After 5 dives its ripping at the throat.
My chest is 44 and waist 34.
The shop is taking it back and I ordered a SP Everflex. I've heard they are more athletic cut.
If it doesn't fit I'm going custom.

I recently bought a Bare Velocity, it fits me great and the suit seems decent enough quality. I haven't had a chance to dive it yet.

I found it depends on how tall you are and basic shape. All of them design their suits slightly different. For instance I’m 6’4” with a 36” waist and 48” chest. For years I could not find an off-the-rack suit that would fit. I did find a freediving two piece suit that fit pretty good but the legs are always a little short.
After searching endlessly I finally ended up with a Bare one piece 5mm for diving Tahoe in the summer and they offered a XL tall size that actually fit.
Then I took a chance and ordered a Pinnacle Cruiser 7mm full suit in 3XL and it’s made for tall skinny people. The 2xl was too small. So that’s the quirk between brands, the bare 5 mil is an XL tall and the other is a 3XL and they both fit.
It is a little tight in the chest but I wear a hooded vest underneath and I also plan to drop about 25-30 lbs. so it will be perfect.
What I found is all the LDS’s around here don’t stock anything anymore because they’re afraid it won’t sell. All they have are a few of the sizes that most likely will sell but not a full line in multiple brands. It’s too bad because I’d rather buy from them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom