50-60m recreational depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably 50 feet and he just got confused on the units. As others have outlined dive to 50m is not trivial outing.

Like Spectrum said - he likely got the units mixed up. Here is a test - ask him about what he saw at the bottom. If he is able to recall it with perfect clarity and he is a new diver who was on air, he was not at 50 meters. If instead he barely recalls any of it, he may have hit 50 m.

He could have went to 160' and hung out for 3 or 4 minutes, moved up to 80' and hung out for 10 minutes, moved up to 30 feet and hung out for another 10 minutes and never entered deco.

I know instructors who shouldn't be doing penetration dives themselves taking brand new students to see Snoopy on the Spiegal Grove in Open Water gear. Anything is possible with instructors these days.

He could have went to 160' and hung out for 3 or 4 minutes, moved up to 80' and hung out for 10 minutes, moved up to 30 feet and hung out for another 10 minutes and never entered deco.

If the profile is as described, then I , too, assume it was something like this. Few minutes "deep" and the rest spent working quite shallow. Not something I'd do (on a single Al80), but it's doable IF nothing goes wrong.

I know instructors who shouldn't be doing penetration dives themselves taking brand new students to see Snoopy on the Spiegal Grove in Open Water gear. Anything is possible with instructors these days.

Have you ever discussed it with them?

Some of the more aggresive dives in Mexico and Truk have similar profiles. You can dive down to 50 meters on a 80 no problem. Of course if anything goes wrong getting back to the surface maybe a bit of a trick. The liability environment influences what’s possible. Those dives are not recommended for a host of reasons.

Have you ever discussed it with them?

Yah,
You know instructors. They know everything, can't be taught anything. I hope he chimes in. He's on this board. :)

Yah,
You know instructors. They know everything, can't be taught anything.
That phenomenon extends to many other groups as well.
I hope he chimes in. He's on this board. :)
I do as well, I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts on it. Perhaps we should start a separate discussion for the topic?

Edit - New thread located here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad.../356186-instructors-doing-trust-me-dives.html

We'll title it "Visiting Snoopy on an Aluminum 80" ???

Back
Top Bottom