50-60m recreational depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50 meters is ~164'. Outside the recreational limit of any agency I know of.

SAA Dive Leaders are qualified to 50m, as are CMAS*** divers.

I have seen people diving the Blue Hole in Dahab using AL80s, the top of the arch is ~56m. They don't spend 25mins at that depth though :wink:

When I was in Coz about 10 years ago I met two yahoos, one an ex junkie (who claimed scuba was his new high) that did 200 ft bounce dives on single AL 80s. They said it was so they could earn the "At 200 ft no one can hear you scream" T shirt. I called BS and they showed me the profiles, they matched up real close, pretty much a sharp V with a plateu at 15. Someone that should have known better took them out and did the dive.

There were t-shirts????? Not just the baseball cap???? :D

200' or a bit deeper on single Al80's or steel 72's done as bounce dives were common in the "bad old days" among the "yahoos" here as well.

I think it was a right of passage in some regions among spearos, sport divers, the "Young and the Restless", etc.

VERY foolish, but it happened.

Best wishes.

There were t-shirts????? Not just the baseball cap???? :D

Nuff said.......

Best wishes.

I'll take one out of the frame and post pictures later. :wink:

If he is able to recall it with perfect clarity and he is a new diver who was on air, he was not at 50 meters. If instead he barely recalls any of it, he may have hit 50 m.

You ever been to 50m on air? I've done it in a hyperbaric chamber, and I remember the time at 50m well enough to give a clear account. Yes I was narced, but for my buddy and myself it was kind of a let down, there was must less of an effect than I expected. Of course with helium high voices...it's good for a laugh.

Of course for the girl who decided it was now a good time to do a headstand and see if she could spin on her head....then decided it might be a good time to start swimming....might not be your best buddy on your next dive to 50m. :D

If you ever get a chance to take a "dry dive" in a chamber it's worth it. Let me warn you, it gets damn hot in there, well over 40c by the time you hit 50m.

Doing a chamber ride to 50m doesn't necessarily produce the same narcotic effect as diving to 50m

Any idea why this would be :confused:

The way I see it - the air content/ratios is the same and the pressure is the same so it should produce the same level of narcosis. I don't have much experience with deep diving but I believe that the effects of narcosis vary from dive to dive even under the same conditions - could the effect in the chamber be the same thing?

Doing a chamber ride to 50m doesn't necessarily produce the same narcotic effect as diving to 50m

Any idea why this would be :confused:

The way I see it - the air content/ratios is the same and the pressure is the same so it should produce the same level of narcosis. I don't have much experience with deep diving but I believe that the effects of narcosis vary from dive to dive even under the same conditions - could the effect in the chamber be the same thing?

A part of the perception of narcosis comes not from the nitrogen, per se ... but from what it's doing to the thinking part of your mind ... as evidenced from the fact that one way to deal with the effects of narcosis is to concentrate on a task, taking your mind off the fact that you're narc'd.

When you're sitting in a chamber, you're in an air environment, sitting comfortably (or uncomfortably), you're warm, it's brightly lit, and you're not exerting yourself. When you're underwater the conditions are considerably different. This may not make a difference physiologically, but it will make a big difference how you perceive your narcosis.

It's also true that cold, dark water will generally have a greater impact on how narc'd you feel than warm, clear water.

Much of the actual mechanics of what causes narcosis is not well understood ... but your environment definitely has an impact on how you feel it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom