50-60m recreational depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SAA Dive Leaders are qualified to 50m, as are CMAS*** divers.

..snip..

My CMAS recreational tables go to 63m.....

SAA Dive Leaders are qualified to 50m, as are CMAS*** divers.

BSAC Dive Leaders are qualified to 50m also.

It just works differently to probably what a lot of people here are used to - I got deco training as part of my BSAC equivalent AOW (Sports Diver) for example, and more at Dive Leader as well.

I've had to make litteraly hundreds of bounces to 190 for very short tasks using a single 80 (and even a steel 72 back in the day). It's no biggie.

The 'had' is the huge difference between what you did and the OP reported.

Let's just go through the 'gain versus potential pain equation' for the friend of the OP:

Gain:
(Bragging rights = positive)
+ (Skill development = zero)
+ (Knowledge development = zero)
+ (Development of prudent decision making = negative)

versus

(Potential pain = zero to huge)

Unless you 'have' to do this, in the line of duty for example, the low benefit of this act in even the best case is just not worth it.

If someone would tell me a story like this I would say: "Great, but if you really want to impress me come back in a week and show me how the darn backwards kick works".

Last edited:
Think your friend is pulling your leg.
I would lay money on 50 ft not M.
Often hear mistakes made by people who talk in imperial talking with others who work in metric.

That's probably what happened. He went to 50 feet and remembered it as meters.

Ask him what kind of light he was using. If he didn't have a flashlight at that depth, he wouldn't have seen anything.

Ask him what kind of light he was using. If he didn't have a flashlight at that depth, he wouldn't have seen anything.

Maybe I missed the details of where this dive took place but I can't recall seeing it. Without that knowledge, that's a pretty big generalization. I've gone to twice that depth with no lights and had absolutely no problem seeing.

The world doesn't automatically come to an end at 130ft like alot of people seem to think. Everyone is right - the margin for error at 164ft (or 200+) is very small, but a bounce to 164ft isn't impossible by an means. In the 'bad old days' we used to go to Maracaibo in Cozumel and do la couple of minutes in the deep and then spend 45-50 minutes hanging at increasingly shallow depths. Not my idea of a good dive these days but at the time I thought it was. There are alot of people that have seen way deeper than 164ft on AL80's and not been anywhere near an out of air situation.

Going that deep on an AL80 is easy ... anybody can do it.

Coming back up is a bit more difficult. Sure, as long as everything goes right, ain't no big whoop. But let narcosis take your mind off what you're doing, or a bit of cold water get your reg freeflowing, of even something simple like a mask flood that causes you to lose buoyancy and sink back down while you're messing with it ... and you're a candidate for a Darwin Award.

Folks who do stuff like this are trying to prove something ... basic "Hey y'all, watch this" mentality.

I guess I just ain't that easily impressed ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's probably what happened. He went to 50 feet and remembered it as meters.

???? There is no need to use a light in those depths if the water is clear.

I've been to a little over 1,000 feet and was still able to see over 200 feet with ambient light. (I was in a submarine)

Back
Top Bottom