• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

$50 Harbor Freight hookah system testing

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself - DIY' started by Ben Diver, Jun 22, 2018.

1. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    for anyone wanting to do this, I do NOT recommend using the compressor above.

If you're gonna do it, this series of compressors uses the same twin diaphragm style compressors used in oxygen concentrators and hookah systems. More than $40 obviously, but it's the right style compressor pump vs. the other oil-less systems that get very hot and may offgas some stuff from the compressor itself. I'd dive with this with no problem after cleaning the tank/hose or go straight out of the pump, but I'm not ballsy enough to use the one listed above

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUI...ctric-Hot-Dog-Quiet-Air-Compressor/1000405185

2. Ben Diver

Ben Diver Registered

What t
    What type of gases? And from what the diaphragm?

3. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    traditional oil-less compressors are pre-lubed with teflon. The gas inside of these compressors gets VERY hot which is why they have a limited duty cycle before overheating. Teflon as a lubricant means it will wear off over time and the combo of it wearing off and the heat makes it carcinogenic which is why teflon pans have started to fall out of favor.
    The duty cycle of these compressors is typically 30 on, 30 off and on a hookah that can be a problem.

The diaphragm compressors run a lot cooler and don't use the same type of pre-lube. There is a reason that hookahs and O2 concentrators use those diaphragm style compressors, I would recommend following suit.

4. Ben Diver

Ben Diver Registered

That lowes compressor is pretty nice and not too expensive also I may have to test that one also, as for the one I'm currently testing I cleaned out the internal with Simple Green and only slightly lubricated the cylinder walls with a food base lubricant popular in the AR-15 world

5. Pao

Pao Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Is 40 PSI enough?

AfterDark likes this.
  6. JamesBon92007

JamesBon92007 Contributor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I'm anxiously awaiting the answer to that question (real-life test results). I would have thought you'd need at least 110 psi.

AfterDark likes this.
  7. Lobzilla

Lobzilla Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I second that. Look for a diaphragm compressor.

FWIW, I have two diaphragm compressors that came out of medical oxygen concentrators. They are safe for breathing. Have to check whether the volume flow is enough for hookah. Will post them in the for sale section in a few weeks if they are suitable.

rjack321 and Ben Diver like this.
  8. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

FrogLube? I use that stuff on my guns.

AfterDark, Dave616 and Bubblesong like this.
  9. Ben Diver

Ben Diver Registered

Yes ma'am

Bubblesong and Marie13 like this.
  10. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

I say FrogLube gives me minty fresh guns (especially when your carry gun is warm from body heat and lets off the special FL fragrance).

So, minty fresh breathing gas? :D

AfterDark likes this.